Nov 12, 2012

Not That Kind Of Girl

After reading Same Difference years ago I knew I was a fan of Siobhan Vivian. After getting to meet her I was even more excited to read her books. As with Same Difference, I enjoyed Not That Kind Of Girl.

Summary from Goodreads:

Natalie Sterling wants to be in control. She wants her friends to be loyal. She wants her classmates to elect her student council president. She wants to find the right guy, not the usual jerk her school has to offer. She wants a good reputation, because she believes that will lead to good things.
But life is messy, and it's very hard to be in control of it. Not when there are freshman girls running around in a pack, trying to get senior guys to sleep with them. Not when your friends have secrets they're no longer comfortable sharing. Not when the boy you once dismissed ends up being the boy you want to sleep with yourself - but only in secret, with nobody ever finding out.
Slut or saint? Winner or loser? Natalie is getting tired of these forced choices - and is now going to find a way to live life in the sometimes messy, sometimes wonderful in-between.


We meet Natalie and she's in her high school thinking of all she could change of freshman orientation to make it so people didn't pass out bored. From there it was obvious that Natalie was not a slacker or under-achiever.

Natalie was not a narrator I was used to. She had a very different voice than any character that I've read about. But even with her faults and different voice I loved seeing her world from her perspective. Natalie is a good girl. She's sensible and puts up with about...nothing. You tick her off and you'll end up with a pizza hitting you in the chest. I loved that about her but at the same time wanted Natalie to stop putting people at arms length. She judged a lot without being aware of it. I think I loved this character so much because of the fact she had her faults and by the end of it she was still Natalie...only she saw things differently. She started to live for her and no one else. There was so much character development with Natalie. It was outstanding.

It's obvious Conner has feelings for Natalie. She's just not willing to think that he's any different from his jerk of a friend Mike. Conner is not like him at all. Though I didn't feel a significant connection with this character I did really like him. The more of Conner there was the more I liked him. I liked that he brought out a side of Natalie no one else could and he put her in her place when he was sick of her pushing him away. He was sweet too which you know is always awesome.

At first I wasn't sure if Spencer was trustworthy or not. She screamed trouble. Trouble she was but by the end I liked Spencer. Amanda I was disappointed in at first. Then I understood completely were she was coming from and applaud her for doing what she needed to do to move on from her past

After reading this book I can't help but think of Siobhan Vivian as the no BS author. Her writing is flawlessly written with absolutely  no BS, I love her style and her tone and can't wait to start her other book The List. But the reason I say she writes with no BS is because she's handling some topics others might not be comfortable portraying and she does it with no fear or BS which I loved. It was refreshing to read a book that didn't hold back. She created such a believable high school setting with even more believable characters.

I loved everything about this book but that ending I loved the most. It was perfect and I loved the message it sent to girls. For the sake of not ruining this book just know page 317 contains my favorite quote in the book. It was so perfect and true.

Not That Kind Of Girl is a book every girl needs to read. It's beautiful and it contains many characters that differ from each other in the best possible way. Not That Kind Of Girl is getting 5 out of 5 birds from me. Siobhan Vivian shows her raw talent through this book and young or old everyone needs to experience this story.






2 comments:

  1. So not only are you the swag queen, you're also the contemporary queen. **All hail the queen** Lol!

    On to your review: Wowzers!! This book sounds fabulous. I love that it features a sleuth of real characters in a real high school setting. I agree, some authors do try to sugarcoat the harder issues. Awesome review! You've convinced me that this is a book I'd enjoy. Can't wait to read your review on The List.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely review, hun! I enjoyed this book a lot, too!

    ReplyDelete