Sep 17, 2012

The Last Echo

I'll admit to being a little hesitant to start this book right away after reading Desires of The Dead. Desires of The Dead was a great read but because I felt it was missing something it caused me to think and think about what that was and I didn't want my brain to still be trying to figure that out when I started The Last Echo. I am so glad that I was able to just push it aside and start this book because holy moly was this book fantastic and creepy.

Summary from Goodreads:

 In the end, all that’s left is an echo.

Violet kept her morbid ability to sense dead bodies a secret from everyone except her family and her childhood-best-friend-turned-boyfriend, Jay Heaton. That is until forensic psychologist Sara Priest discovered Violet’s talent and invited her to use her gift to track down murderers. Now, as she works with an eclectic group of individuals—including mysterious and dangerously attractive Rafe—it’s Violet’s job to help those who have been murdered by bringing their killers to justice.

When Violet discovers the body of a college girl killed by “the girlfriend collector” she is determined to solve the case. But now the serial killer is on the lookout for a new “relationship” and Violet may have caught his eye.



From serial killers, to a stumbled upon murder, and now the girlfriend collector Violet Ambrose sure as heck doesn't have it easy. Her life went from not normal to down right dangerous.

The Last Echo was so breathtaking. Like literally it took my breath away. The Last Echo had everything that it ever could have needed. It was paced perfectly, the story was developing into something that I personally loved, the characters were changing, the creep vibe was amplified to the max...this book just had it all.

Violet Ambrose is on my list of favorite characters. She's strong and so brave. This book really puts Violet and her strength to the test. Pretty much every book does but this one did so in a different way. Sometimes the prince isn't there to help you out of a sticky situation and you need to have the smarts and strength to get out alive. She proves in this one she has both. Violet definitely made me love her even more as a character in The Last Echo.She's no longer clueless. She's figuring things out about who she is and what she can do. She has the support of all these people and even though she has them she doesn't rely on them to save her butt.

Kimberly Derting is one in the very few authors who managed to make me switch teams. I've been all about Jay from the start but after reading this book I can honestly say that I felt myself shift towards another character. But don't get me wrong I still love Jay, he's all kinds of awesome. There isn't much Jay in this book might I just say but there is a lot of Rafe. I for one enjoyed all the new things that I learned about Rafe. Rafe is the mysterious and sexy, keeps to himself kind of guy. Yet you see these moments of a funny and really sweet guy. I knew that I liked Rafe when I read Desires of The Dead but I never expected to love him to the point that I may have switched teams. I know, I know! I'm such a trader! :P

The Last Echo is the creepiest book in this series hands down. The girlfriend collector is the most twisted guy ever. The chapters where we get to see inside his head made my stomach roll with revulsion. I will never be able to wear purple nail polish again. Not without thinking about this book. This is definitely not a book to read at night which is when I always was reading it. Lets just say I didn't fall asleep right away after reading.

When I started this series I had no idea that it would go the route that it did. I never expected any of it but I love where Kimberly Derting has taken this series and its characters. I'm so afraid of spoiling something so I'm not going to say to much about what happened in this book other than to say that Kimberly Derting is brilliant. Who would have thought that The Body Finder would have turned into this story? What I mean by that is the things that developed with Sara Priest and the way this book ended. Never. Saw. That. Coming. But I loved it and I'm so, so excited to read the next installment.

Kimberly Derting succeeds big time. She has written a suspenseful, creepy, heart-stopping story that I am so engrossed in. Fans of her previous books will close this one and will go "You did not just end it like that Kimberly. Nu-uh." and then proceed with "When does the next one come out? Tomorrow I hope." The Last Echo gets 5 out of 5 birds from me. Anyone who enjoys reading will start this series and instantly fall in love with the characters. It's a series that doesn't get lost in the shuffle of all those other series you've read. It sits tall and gets it's self noticed and it stays noticed for a very long time. 







1 comment:

  1. NOT A LOT OF JAY! OMG. *cries* :((( You're seriously killing me here, Bailey! Wow, this book is creepier than the last two? Amazing! I think I need to move this book up on my TBR, but I want to reread the first two books again to refresh my mind. The girlfriend collector thing gives me the freaks. One of my fav parts of Kim's books is how we get into the mind of killer. It's a whole new perspective, right? *sigh* I love your review!! It's well thought out and you hint at what's inside the book, but you don't give too much away. Amazing review :))))

    PS. I can't believe you switched teams. I'm so afraid for Jay now!! </3

    ReplyDelete