Sep 24, 2012

Scary School

I wasn't sure what to expect when I agreed to review Scary School by Derek The Ghost. I don't read Middle Grade books often. I've only read one before reading Scary School but I wanted to branch out with what I was reading so I agreed to read this book. I can honestly say I'm glad I did because this book was really great in a very comical easy read kind of way. Sometimes you just need a book like Scary School whether you read Middle Grade or not.

Summary from Goodreads:

You think your school's scary?

Get a load of these teachers:

"Ms. Fang," an 850-year-old vampire
"Dr. Dragonbreath," who just might eat you before recess
"Mr. Snakeskin"--science class is so much more fun when it's taught by someone who's half zombie
"Mrs. T"--break the rules and spend your detention with a hungry "Tyrannosaurus rex"

Plus

Gargoyles, goblins, and Frankenstein's monster on the loose
The world's most frighteningly delicious school lunch

And

The narrator's an eleven-year-old ghost

Join Charles "New Kid" Nukid as he makes some very Scary friends--including Petunia, Johnny, and Peter the Wolf--and figures out that Scary School can be just as funny as it is spook



This book is told from the point of view of Derek The Ghost. He's writing down in this book everything he see's around him. It takes place at a school known as Scary School where humans and scary kids go to school together. You have zombies, werewolf's, a girl who is completely purple etc.  They soon learn that they will all be taking part in the Ghoul Games and they all have to get ready....or deal with what happens when they lose.

I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would. Once I started reading I couldn't stop. There was so much about this book that kept me drawn in. For one the dark humor. This book had me chuckling throughout. I have so many favorite quotes.

"Okay," said Frank N. Stein, "that's just plain rude. Go ahead and kill it. I'll make one with better manners."

And not only was it the humor great but also the writing style. It really was good and I kept reading because I wanted to know how this book could possibly end. Some of the stuff in the book was silly which was to be expected but it wasn't the kind of silly that made you roll your eyes. It was the good kind of silly. The kind of silly you just need sometimes. Nothing in this book did I expect. Once you start Scary School you just go along for the ride until you've read the last page. 

Though this is a Middle Grade book it is really dark and horror like but in a kid friendly sort of way. Kids are often eaten by their teachers. But even though it is dark it's definitely written in a kid friendly way and very humorous. The illustrations that were on the pages made the experience even better while reading. They too often had me chuckling.

There were a lot of characters in this book and I enjoyed reading about them all. Every single one of the characters were likeable in there own way. Lindsay was really amusing and I liked how Derek made her more likable at the end of her chapter. I liked that about this book each character was introduced in his or hers own chapter. Someone may be mentioned in a chapter that was talking about someone else and Derek would always write something like "More about that later." The only thing about this book is I wish we would have learned more about Derek since he was the one narrating the story. Other than that one thing I think all the characters were really well written and developed.


I really enjoyed this book and am glad that I read it. I'm definitely more open to reading Middle Grade after this because of how much I enjoyed Scary School. Some people may not be into because they think it's just for kids but really anyone could read this book and finish it will a smile. Scary School is getting 4 out of 5 birds from me. Everyone needs to give this book a chance. It's a quick and funny read.



2 comments:

  1. It's so nice when a book surprises you! This does sound like a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad you decided to review this one and loved it enough to give it 4 birdies. I got a request for this one as well but I was and have been very hesitant. I don't tend to read middle grade either and I hate accepting requests only to end up disliking them. This sounds very fun and light-hearted. Great review!

    ReplyDelete