Sep 10, 2012

Desires Of The Dead

Desires of the Dead is the second book in The Body Finder series by Kimberly Derting. Right after I finished The Body Finder I wanted the second book as soon as possible but it wasn't out yet. Once it did come out somehow it got pushed back and I ended up not reading it right away. Finally after always wondering what was going on in this series I got around to reading Desires of the Dead. To be honest I really liked this book but I felt like it was missing something. 


Summary from Goodreads:

 Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.

As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger.




Desires of the Dead takes place three months after The Body Finder and Violet is recovering from everything that has happened to her and the ones she loves. Soon she's keeping secrets and pulling away from those she loves most because she's so terrified of getting them hurt again. Her biggest secret of all is put to the test in Desires of the Dead.

I was excited to finally read this book and dive back into the world Violet Ambrose lives in. Violet is still the awesome character from The Body Finder but she's definitely different at the same time. Reading Desires of the Dead I couldn't decide if I liked the change in Violet. I understood why she was doing what she was doing but I just didn't agree with it. Unlike in The Body Finder Violet keeps a lot of stuff to herself and because of this she puts some strain on her relationships. Don't get me wrong I still love Violet. She's a really amazing character but I really did not like that she was keeping so much from Jay in this one. I was expecting something to change about Violet but that was definitely not it. But even though I say I don't like that she did this I also mentioned I understood why she was doing it. I totally could see why Violet didn't want to bring her loved ones into the mess that was quickly building. Violet deals with a lot of stuff in Desires of the Dead and this book really shines some light on Violet's strengths and weaknesses. I'm curious to see how things are going to turn out in the next book, The Last Echo.

Jay is still my favorite character in this series. He's so sweet and protective. Jay has changed a lot from the first book. He no longer is just the best friend. His role has changed and I for one love what Kimberly Derting has done with Jay. He's still the same Jay, but he's grown and developed into an even better character. Not that he doesn't have his flaws because he does. He can be a tad bit over protective but considering everything that has happened...that really isn't a flaw. It just goes to show how much he cares about Violet. I'm struggling trying to find a flaw with Jay...so I'm gonna just take back what I said. Jay doesn't have any flaws that I can think of. 

I loved how Kimberly Derting explored Jay's and Violet's relationship. In The Body Finder it was just the start and we didn't really get to much Jay and Violet together as boyfriend girlfriend. Desires of the Dead definitely makes up for it though. You have moments of swooning, laughing, blushing, crying, and being angry and flat out glorious with this couple. They make you feel all the feelings. A lot happens for this couple and I think Kimberly Derting did a fantastic job developing them not only as individual characters but also them together as a couple. 
 
There are a lot of new characters introduced into this book and I was going to discuss them but now I feel like it might be better if I don't. It's best to learn about these characters as you read. The only new character I will discuss briefly is Rafe. Rafe oh Rafe. I can't decide if I liked him or not because I can just tell he's going to cause problems for my favorite character. Okay....whatever I like him. I do! BUT I love Jay more. So yeah, I briefly just discussed Rafe and now you are curious about him. ;)

Unlike with The Body Finder I had this book pretty figured out. Like with The Body Finder we get glimpses into the killers mind. Kimberly made it pretty obvious who's head we were in. And even though I did figure it out what I never saw coming was what happened at the end. That did surprise me. Even though I knew who's twisted mind I was in I didn't see the twist that came at the end. That was a good surprise.

It took me a bit to start this review because I really had to sit down and think about how I felt about this book. I knew I enjoyed it because I couldn't put it down, but I always felt like maybe it was missing something. It definitely was missing something that The Body Finder possessed and I just can't figure out what it is that it's missing. Even though I feel that way about Desires of the Dead the book is still outstanding. Which is why it's getting 4 out of 5 birds from me. Desires of the Dead is a good sequel to The Body Finder and it brings a lot of new things to the story that I can't wait to find out more about in the next book. Fans of The Body Finder will devour this book completely. Kimberly Derting has done a good job creating an enticing and captivating series.










2 comments:

  1. It's really hard when you're looking forward to a sequel but then you find out that the character you liked has changed and not for the better but Jay does sound like a guy I'd like and it's good that you were still able to enjoy this, despite some predictability :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to kind of skim your review because I didn't want to risk spoiling book one. Although it was not as good as book one, I'm glad you still enjoyed it and are looking forward to book three.

    ReplyDelete