Aug 6, 2012

Fractured Light Blog Tour: Review

Fractured Light was not one of those books that I'd heard a lot about. It was just something that I happened to come across because of a blog tour. It had a interesting summary and somewhat intriguing cover. I went into this book not really knowing what to expect what I got was a book that blew me away with how awesome it was.

Summary from Goodreads:

Llona Reese is used to living on the run. After the Vykens killed her parents, she knew they would eventually come for her too. But she never felt ready to face them---until now. Defying the Auran Council and everything she's been taught, Llona must learn to use her power over light as a weapon if she wants to survive.

We first meet Llona and she's at her fathers funeral. Both her parents are gone so now it's just her and her uncle Jake who isn't taking her fathers death very well. Llona knows that she's next. She's gonna have to fight to survive agaisnt a Vyken out to steal her light. 
  
The moment I started Fractured Light I was hooked, engrossed, fascinated and down right addicted to its story and characters.  Fractured Light was different from anything I've ever read. It contained unique things inside that I could not get enough of. The more the story unfolded the more urgency I had to find out how it was going to end. 

Fractured Light is full of great characters. Llona the main character is easily likeable. I never once had a moment were I was bored with her narration or her as a character. I just always liked her from the very first time we met her. She's different--she's an Aura. She's full of light. I really loved watching how Llona grew and how she always questioned things. She grew from being a sorta tough girl who could handle certain things better than others to a girl who could kick some series butt and proved how strong she could be even when all odds were agaisnt her. She had this determination about her that I really liked. Sometimes I didn't always agree with what she did like with the things she kept from Christian--but I do understand her reasoning behind not telling him. 

Christian. Oh sweet heavens. At first I was confused about him. I knew their was something off about him something he wasn't telling Llona and I just couldn't decide if I should trust this character right away or not. There was a point where I realized this guy deserved my trust. He was nothing but a sweet, strong and protective guy with a little secret of his own. I wasn't that surprised about what his secret was. But even though I wasn't surprised I really loved how Rachel McClellan crafted who he was around Llona's life. The relationship these two characters shared was great. There was so much tension and so much love that it was so overwhelming at times and I just wanted to shove their heads together so they would kiss already. Did they ever kiss? I'm not gonna tell ya! But what I will say is Christain said something very amazing at the end of the book that makes me swoon every time I think about it. It's three words and no, its not those three words. Anyone who reads it will get what the words are and they will swoon along with me. It's just so perfect! 

I'm going to share one of my favorite conversations between Llona and Christian. It just made me laugh when I read it. Note I'm only sharing the dialog between the two characters and nothing else because I don't want to spoil anything. 


 "I have to ask you something."
"Is it personal?" 
"I don't think so."
 "Would you say your question is a C-SPAN question, or more of an MTV red-carpet question?"
"I would say somewhere in the middle." 
"So it's a David Letterman question?"
He stopped. "Can I just ask?" 

That is just a small dosage of the way those two interact. All the characters in this book were really great. Some of them I liked right away while others I felt I should distrust. May Llona's BFF was a really awesome character. I liked her right away and was curious to learn more about her and the more I learned the more I liked her. As I learned new things about Llona's life and how everything worked I got to the point where I just kind of thought everyone was the bad guy--aside from Christan, Jake and May. I had two prime suspects though and when it was revealed who it was I wasn't shocked. All the signs were their. But even so I did find myself always second guessing my judgment on some of the characters--even May who I really liked. So in the end even though the bad guy wasn't shocking I never really had it figured out because I kept jumping from putting my suspicion on different people and I really liked that about this book. 

Vykens. Such an interesting creature. I'm not gonna give to much away about these creatures because I think its best to learn about them along with Llona as you read. So all I'm gonna say is that Rachel McClellan twisted Vykens into this unique creature that was fascinating to read about. I loved learning the history of Auras and Vykens--how they came about. I'm excited to learn even more about them in the next book Fractured Soul. 

Fractured Light never once had  a moment of dullness. Anytime I thought I could stop and let my mind wrap around everything I'd read the chapter would end with a cliff hanger and I'd have to read and soon I'd find I'd read another four chapters because I couldn't stop. Rachel McClellan created this vivid world full of so many fascinating things. I loved everything about this book but most importantly I loved Rachel's writing. With new authors who's work I'm not familiar with its sometimes hard to love their writing right away. Each author is different in the way they describe and create things. Some you love right away while others it takes a couple chapters to really fall into. Rachel McClellan was one of those authors who's words instantly hooked me. I loved her writing right away. I'm definitely a new fan and eagerly am awaiting for the next book in this series.


The moment you turn the first page of Fractured Light you'll be turning more and more until you reach the end. Anyone who enjoys a book full of vividly created creatures and uniquely written plot lines will love this book. I for one enjoyed it immensely and am giving it 5 out of 5 stars. I'm definitely a fan of Rachel's after reading Fractured Light and totally will be recommending this book to anyone. It's to good of a book not to be read and reread over the years.



~~Thank you Dark Mind Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book~~



Today was my stop on the Fractured Light Blog Tour and you can find all the previous and upcoming stops here. Make sure to check them all out as there are plenty of interesting things like giveaways, quest posts, excerpts and more! And not only that but there is a big giveaway over at Dark Mind Book Tours that definitely needs to be checked out! Scroll down to the very bottom of the post and you will find the giveaway which contains pretty epic prizes if I do say so myself! :D

If you'd like to learn more about the author you can find Rachel McClellan on all these sites--Website, Blog, Twitter, Facebook, and Goodreads. You can purchase Fractured Light at these sites--Barnes & Nobel, Amazon UK, and Amazon US. Everyone definitely wants to get a copy of this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment