Aug 16, 2012

Confessions Of An Angry Girl

Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett was not a book I had heard of until I stumbled upon it on Netgalley. Instantly I knew I wanted to read it. The cover rocked and the story sounded really good. And boy was it good. I could not put this book down the moment I started it. Louise Rozett has found a spot on my favorite authors list. Her writing was just far to good for that not to happen. 

Summary from Goodreads:

Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some confessions to make…1. I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate, don't you?

2. I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who might be dating a cheerleader. She is now enraged and out for blood. Mine.

3. High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry—get it?)

Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.

(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.)

(Sorry. That was rude.)


Rose Zarelli is an angry girl. Her dad is dead, her mom is in her own head, her brother has left for college and to top it all off she's starting high school. Lets just say Rose's freshman year isn't exactly easy. She ticks off the wrong cheerleader who finds it her new mission in life to make Rose's life miserable. Oh and if that isn't enough there's also Jamie Forta to add to the mix of complications.

Instantly I could relate to Rose. There was so much about her that made me think of me. From the very first page I loved the main character and her narration. Rose is really smart and a bit socially awkward. And then she has these moments of not giving a crap what people think and she speaks her mind and she doesn't hold back on using big words. Those moments made me like Rose even more. Rose doesn't fit in at her high school. She doesn't care about the same things a lot of the kids in her school her age care about. She doesn't drink, doesn't even want to think about having sex, and she sure as heck doesn't understand the need to be a cheerleader and prance around in short skirts. Rose was definitely not a character who all she thought about was being cool. Rose was at times very cynical and half the time always angry. Its hard to describe Rose without giving away the whole story.

Jamie Forta. Man was he one mysterious and sexy character. I really liked him, but at the same time I didn't understand him. He's really vague and doesn't say much and what he does say it's like he's not really saying anything at all. And then you have a moment of him saying something so sweet to Rose that you just melt. Honestly, we don't learn much about Jamie in this one. You learn little bits of information but not much. Nothing to really give you an idea of who Jamie is exactly. I think this was a good thing because it definitely makes me want to read the second book even more. The only thing that is really obvious about Jamie is how much he cares about Rose. Jamie is really interesting and I'm excited to see why he feel's he's so different. Also, I'm pretty sure Jamie Forta is the best kisser ever. Holy cow were those scenes intense and hot.

There are quite a few characters who are worth being mentioned in this review. Robert for instance. Robert I wasn't to sure if I liked at first. I felt bad for a him a lot and it wasn't until towards the end of the book that I realized I did like him. He was a sweet a guy. Angelo is another character worth mentioning. Anytime he was around in the book he made me laugh. Always. I really loved this character. I think its hard not to like Angelo. Tracy is another I can't not mention. I really hated her to be totally blunt. She reminded me a lot of someone that I grew up with and considered a best friend. Tracy was not a very good friend to Rose she is what I would consider a toxic friend. Someone who you love to death but really they just aren't a very good friend to you. I will admit that towards the end I hated her a little less. And last character I will mention is Rose's brother. Peter is another great addition to the story. I really liked anytime he was around.

It was so easy to love Louise Rozett's way of writing. The moment I started reading this book I was already half way done. I knew I had to stop and savor the rest or I would be laying in bed all night thinking about how I needed the second book right away. Confessions of an Angry girl is just the start of what will be an amazing contemporary series. I for one am eagerly awaiting for the second book already.

There is so much to love about this book and when I realized that there would be another book I was beyond thrilled. I'm excited to read more about Rose and Jamie. Confessions of an Angry Girl is getting 5 out of 5 birds from me. It's such a good contemporary read and anyone who loves contemporary like me will blow through it so fast they will wish they would have slowed their pace. Because once you read the last page you will be wanting more instantly. Even someone who isn't familiar with contemporary will easily love this book. It's for anyone who loves a good read honestly.



~~Thank you Netgalley and Harlequin Teen for providing me with this book before it's official publication!~~




2 comments:

  1. Great review, Bailey! I liked Jamie too but didn't feel like I understood him and I hope we get to know him better in the sequel!

    p.s I found your blog via Louise's tweet, yay for vegetarians! We're now following your blog xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope so to! I really liked him and can't wait to learn more about him in the next book! Thank you for the follow! I followed your blog as well. Love that you feature you're pets in your posts! They are all so cute. :D

      Delete