Jul 2, 2012

Before I Wake

I've been a fan of the Soul Screamers series by Rachel Vincent since I read the first book. And now with the sixth book out in the world its hard to believe that this awesome series only has one more book before it ends. Before I Wake was all kinds of awesome and with the way it ended I already can tell this series is going to end with a bang.

If you have not read If I Die yet, do NOT read this review. It will contain some spoilers from that book because its impossible to write a review for this book and not spoil some certain things. So please DO NOT read this review if you haven't read If I Die it will only ruin the book for you. Unless of course you like spoilers than keep on reading.

Summary from Goodreads:

 I died on a Thursday-killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul. The good news? He didn't get it. The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school...  Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend. But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life


Kaylee Cavanaugh died. She was murdered by her Math teacher who turned out to be a Incubus set out to take her soul. On the bright side? Kaylee was brought back from the dead--sorta--to reclaim souls that were stolen. Kaylee has to learn to deal with everything that has changed in her life and of course to make it all the harder there's an evil hellion causing trouble.

Kaylee has changed so much from the very first book in the series, My Soul To Take, but in Before I Wake she's changed even more. She's not the Kaylee we're used to. Sure, there is a lot about Kaylee that is the same. She's tough, heroic, stubborn, kick-butt and down right awesome. But Kaylee died and it was bound to change her. It was really interesting reading this book and seeing how Kaylee dealt with everything. There were a lot of moments in this book that made my heart ache for Kaylee. So much happens in this book and man some of it is literally heart breaking. Those who have read this book know what I'm talking about. Kaylee's still the same Kaylee, but at the same time she's different. And I think in the long run the change that we're seeing is going to lead to an even better and stronger version of Kaylee. 

There was a lot of stuff in this book that made my heart ache for Kaylee but there was also a lot of stuff that made me laugh and smile and go "Aww!" Tod and Kaylee's relationship is so amazing in this book. I thought the scenes with those two in If I Die made my heart melt--holy crap the scenes in Before I Wake were even better! I don't want to give anything away, but these two are really truly amazing together. I'm so glad they ended up getting together like they did. We get to see sides of Tod we didn't always see in previous books and man do I love those sides. Tod is so devoted, loving, caring, sarcastically hilarious and so many more great things! Rachel Vincent sure does know how to create a character who makes your heart melt.

Rachel Vincent made it clear that someone was going to die in Before I Wake. I of course turned into a nervous wreck when I found out about this because instantly my mind went through all the amazing characters in this series and I felt my heart sink at the thought of any of them dying! I honestly can say that I was surprised by what happened and who died in this book. People have died in previous books in this series, but the way a certain character died in Before I Wake broke my heart. It was such a gut wrenching scene and I felt so bad for Kaylee. That was just horrible. This whole book was full of surprises and shocking twists, but that one death that was the worst. I'm not gonna saw who dies or how but when it comes to the world Kaylee lives in, not a single soul is safe.

The whole time reading Before I Wake I tried figuring out what was going on. How was what was happening happening? What in the world was going on? It was all so weird! None of it made sense to me and I didn't understand how everything was working until Kaylee figured it out her self and learned some things. I honestly was not expecting that at all. It was so different from previous books! I loved it! Rachel Vincent is truly brilliant. She is a writer with such talent that when I think about my own writing I think this: I want to be as good as Rachel Vincent. She is so good with how she describes things, how she builds these worlds full of terrifying creatures, creates such amazing characters. The list could go on and on but I know that any time I pick up a book by this author all I'm gonna get is brilliance. 

I'm hesitant to say this, but guys...I kind of like Sabine. Okay, I'll be completely honest and say that I loved her in this book. I never thought I would say this about Sabine, but I really do like her now. Any thing that comes out of her mouth is hilarious and her interactions with Sophie were so funny. Sabine is really a tough chick, but she's also vulnerable and in Before I Wake we get to see some of that side of Sabine. She loves Nash more than I ever really realized and I felt really bad for her in this one. See what I mean about Rachel Vincent and her brilliance? She can make you love a character you never liked. Nash is another character who I felt myself liking again. Nash made a lot of mistakes that made me feel anger towards him and sorry for him at the same time. In Before I Wake my anger finally started to go away. I felt myself liking Nash again, and I'm so glad about this before I missed liking him. He's a great character, he just screwed up a little bit.

Before I Wake was the best book in the series, they each get better and better. I'm sad to think that there is only one book left but I know that it's gonna be the best last book ever. Fans of Rachel Vincent will cry and laugh while reading this book. They will like characters they originally hated. They will fall deeper in love with Tod Hudson. Before I Wake is getting 5 out of 5 stars from me. Now is a good time to start this series if you haven't already because the longer you wait the longer you have to know you missed out on all the brilliance inside of Before I Wake.


No comments:

Post a Comment