Jun 25, 2012

Such A Rush

The moment I finished Going To Far by Jennifer Echols I knew that I was a fan of her books. It was such a good read, and now after reading Such A Rush in a day I'm an even bigger fan. Such A Rush was such a thrilling and captivating read I already can't wait to read another book by Jennifer Echols.


Summary from Goodreads:

A sexy and poignant romantic tale of a young daredevil pilot caught between two brothers.

High school senior Leah Jones loves nothing more than flying. While she’s in the air, it’s easy to forget life with her absentee mother at the low-rent end of a South Carolina beach town. When her flight instructor, Mr. Hall, hires her to fly for his banner advertising business, she sees it as her ticket out of the trailer park. And when he dies suddenly, she’s afraid her flying career is gone forever.    

But Mr. Hall’s teenage sons, golden boy Alec and adrenaline junkie Grayson, are determined to keep the banner planes flying. Though Leah has crushed on Grayson for years, she’s leery of getting involved in what now seems like a doomed business — until Grayson betrays her by digging up her most damning secret. Holding it over her head, he forces her to fly for secret reasons of his own, reasons involving Alec. Now Leah finds herself drawn into a battle between brothers — and the consequences could be deadly.


Leah has grown up in trailer park after trailer park her whole life living with a mother who was never around much. She didn't have the easiest upbringing that's for sure. But Leah is determined to end up living a life worth something. She doesn't want to end up like her mother, she wants to amount to something.

Leah Jones was a really interesting character. I liked her a lot while I was reading this book, but at the time I couldn't understand why she did some of the things she did. She comes from a really rough upbringing but she has a lot of potential to be great. She's really determined to become a pilot. She struggles a lot with where she comes from and how people view her life. It was interesting how she handle certain things. She was tough and witty when people gained up agaisnt her and I liked that about her. She knew she had it rough, but she kept her head up. She did do some certain things through out the book I couldn't understand--sometimes she would act or dress like the girl she didn't want to be and that bugged me. Leah was definitely a great character though and I loved reading her story.

In Such A Rush Grayson blackmails Leah into dating his twin brother Alec. He won't tell her why and its totally obvious that Grayson likes her--a lot. So why does he want her to date his brother so badly? I tried figuring this out the whole time I was reading the book and just couldn't. I had a few theories but they were all wrong. I honestly didn't expect that to be the reason for Grayson wanting Leah to date Alec so badly. A part of me understands why Grayson did what he did, but another part just thinks he should have stayed out of it. It all makes sense though now that I get why Grayson was doing what he was doing. Grayson is not an easy character to understand, but once you do you love him. You can't help it, even when he makes no sense you still love him.

Grayson was by far the most infuriating and sexy character in this book. He did and said all of these things that made it hard to understand why he was doing all of these things in the first place. One minute he's super sweet the next he's throwing insults around. The guy is seriously off the walls. But I loved him the moment he appeared with his cow boy hat. Grayson was such an awesome character and he interacted with each character so differently that when ever Grayson was around it made me want to devour the book even faster than I was. It was obvious how Grayson felt about Leah and that's what made it so interesting to reading this book. Trying to figure out why Grayson was blackmailing Leah in the first place. I don't want to ruin anything, but Grayson is that character that sends your heart pounding even if you don't want it to pound.

Alec was a character who I liked, but also didn't like. He was sweet, but at the same time some of the things he said got on my nerves. It wasn't until towards the end of the book that I liked Alec. There is a lot about Alec we don't catch or notice until the end so that was really cool finding out about him. He definitely was not the twin to send your heart racing--at least not for me anyways. Alec definitely has some great qualities though.

Molly--Leah's best friend--she is so different from Leah. Their relationship is a lot more complicated than they realize. Leah thinks that Molly is only friends with her because being friends with the poor girl earns her some brownie points. And honestly at first I did feel like Molly wasn't the greatest friend. There was just something about her. She started acting funny. Which at the end we find out why this was and you realize Molly actually isn't that bad. Turns out I kind of like Molly. Molly and Leah had a lot of witty and funny conversations in this book and I really liked how Jennifer Echols handled this friendship. It was perfect and she did such a good job developing these two characters.

I have never read a book that revolved around planes. Such A Rush has a lot of planes in it and it was awesome reading a story like this. I'm terrified of planes, but reading it from the eyes of a character who loved it so much was really interesting for me. There was this one thing that a character in the book said that really stuck with me and I have to share.

"Most people hear an airplane in the sky and think, 'There's an airplane,' and go back to what they were doing. A few folks look around for the airplane, try to figure out what kind of plane it is, and watch it from the time they spot it to the time it disappears on the horizon, maybe after that. Those kids are the ones who will be pilots."


Jennifer Echols has a way of captivating readers to the point that they can't help but finish the book in a day because they have gotten so engrossed in the well developed characters that its impossible not to find out how their lives will turn out. Such A Rush definitely was a book full of awesome whether it was from the setting, its amazing characters, its thrilling story or just the way Jennifer wrote. It was impossible to put the book down once I started it. I will definitely miss reading about Leah and Grayson--but the way this book ended was perfection. Such A Rush is getting 4.5 out of 5 stars from me. Fans of Jennifer's previous books will become even bigger fans after reading Such A Rush. Already I'm looking forward to Jennifer Echols next book.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review! I didn't realize the brothers were twins in this novel, definitely missed that on the synopsis. I think I'm going to need to bump it up on my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete