Jun 18, 2012

The Golden Lily

The Golden Lily--finally I am writing a review for this book and finally I get to say "I read that book and it was flipping fantastic!" I've been waiting for this book (to me what seems like forever but that may be a tad bit dramatic considering it was released a year after Bloodlines) the moment I finished Bloodlines and she left us hanging with that killer ending. When it comes to Richelle Mead and her books there's this certain urgency. You have to have her books and you have to have them NOW. Or else everything will implode. That again, was a bit dramatic. But it just proves my point how important it is to have a Richelle Mead book the moment it is released. They contain everything inside that reminds me why I love reading so much. The Golden Lily was nothing but awesome and already I'm highly anticipating the next book in this series.

Summary from Goodreads:

The second thrilling installment in Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy spinoff series

Tough, brainy alchemist Sydney Sage and doe-eyed Moroi princess Jill Dragomir are in hiding at a human boarding school in the sunny, glamorous world of Palm Springs, California. The students--children of the wealthy and powerful--carry on with their lives in blissful ignorance, while Sydney, Jill, Eddie, and Adrian must do everything in their power to keep their secret safe. But with forbidden romances, unexpected spirit bonds, and the threat of Strigoi moving ever closer, hiding the truth is harder than anyone thought.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Richelle Mead's breathtaking Bloodlines series explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive. In this second book, the drama is hotter, the romances are steamier, and the stakes are even higher.


Sydney Sage is an Alchemist who's current job assignment is to keep Jill Dragomir safe and hidden from any of those who want to harm her. Easier said then done. Sydney is faced with a whole new set of challenges in The Golden Lily. 

Sydney--originally I didn't like her to much when she first appeared in the Vampire Academy series, but now the more I read from her perspective the more I find how much I truly like this character. I love how she doesn't always get social cues like most people would and how quick she is to correct you on something. She's smart and a quick thinker. She stays on her toes differently than fans of the Vampire Academy are used to. She's not someone who can tackle a dude half her size and come out the victor. No, the way she gets out of tricky situations is with her head. She's also loyal and brave. I really enjoyed Bloodlines and getting to know Sydney as a character but with this one I loved it! I loved watching her begin to see things around her differently. She definitely changes from Bloodlines. She starts to question things about the Alchemists. I can't wait to see how much more she will develop in the books to come.

The Golden Lily was a lot calmer than any book I've read by Richelle Mead. It took a whole different route than I expected. The whole time I read this book I had nothing figured out. Everything that happened was unexpected and fantastically epic. There was something I was suspicious about a certain character to be specific, but I never put two and two together until it was right in my face. With the way Bloodlines ended I honestly didn't know what to expect but I knew it was gonna be nothing but good. I was right about that. And though this book was calmer than I expected it didn't make it any less enjoyable. It had plenty of suspense and action in this one, but nothing compared to previous books by Richelle Mead. There was so much we learn in this one while at the same time so much we didn't learn. I'm dying to learn more about some certain things that I can't say because of spoilers.

Those of you who were disappointed by the lack of romance in Bloodlines will be pleased with The Golden Lily. Which might I just say that I never felt that Bloodlines lacked any romance. The romance just wasn't ready to appear as heavily and often as some may have wanted in Bloodlines. The Golden Lily was definitely the book that was ready to lay it down and get it ready for the other books to come. It was perfect. It was just the right book to start it all. I can't talk about the romance without it being to spoiler-y so I'll leave you with this as my take on the romance in this book: It was perfect and sometimes not perfect oh and it was brutal. It was B-R-U-T-A-L. Take that how you want. Those who have read this book know why it was brutal and why it was perfect and why not so much. *sigh* Just thinking about it makes me smile and then want to sigh with sadness.

Adrian Ivashkov. I disliked this character so much when I first met him in Frost Bite. I was hard core Team Dimitri and no matter how charming Adrian could be I couldn't like him. Holy crap guys was I blinded by my love for Dimitri. How did I not fall for this character sooner?! All of you Adrian fans from the start I finally get it. I saw it in Bloodlines but now I'm truly really seeing why there were hard core Adrian fans from the start. I'm totally head over heels for Adrian after reading The Golden Lily. He's...he's just so Adrian. He often says the most inappropriate things and then he says the most insightful sweetest things ever. He's handsome and so dang charming. He's loyal to. Adrian is just the definition of swoon worthy to sum it up short. I will always love Dimitri, but in this series I'm hard core Adrian. How could I not be? He's that character who everything he says is quotable worthy. I rarely put quotes into my reviews and when I do, its because the character left such an impression and Adrian? He left a big impression. A few of my favorite Adrian quotes.

"Nice blouse, Sage," he told me, deadpan. "It really brings out the khaki in your pants."
"Easy there, Sage. I'm no gun-toting crazy guy. Crazy, yes. But not the rest."
"What, like Captain McTropicalShorts back there?" "Not even Moroi give licenses to infants, Sage."

Richelle Mead is one of those authors who her writing is fantastic from the start, but with each book she releases it just gets better and better. The way she describes things and the way her style of writing is instantly captivates readers. There is never a dull moment in a Richelle Mead book and The Golden Lily is just more proof of that. I devoured The Golden Lily faster than any book because I couldn't get enough of it. I do that every time I hold a book by Richelle Mead and each time I wish I would have paced myself  because I'm sad its over and I have to wait forever for the next one. But, when it comes to The Golden Lily or any book by this fantastic author there is no way to pace yourself. You can try but you will fail because all you can think about is reading that book until you know how its gonna end.

That ending. I'm still all gutted up from that ending, but I gotta say that was one of Richelle Mead's less brutal endings. But at the same time it was so flipping brutal more brutal than the way she ended Bloodlines and that was brutal because I knew I'd have to wait a long time before I could see what was gonna happen next. The Golden Lily's last chapter was so amazing and so sad at the same time. I felt a lot of emotions while reading this book, but that chapter that chapter made me feel way to many emotions for my body to handle. And when it was over I felt really sad for a lot of different reasons. Richelle Mead has done it again with making me feel all the feelings you can feel while reading a book. It's gonna be a long tortures wait for the next book in this amazing series. 

The Golden Lily will not fail to impress readers who loved Bloodlines and the Vampire Academy series. The Golden Lily is full of unexpected twists, romance, suspense, humor--it's got it all. I'm giving this book 5 out of 5 stars. Richelle Mead has proven once again that any book she writes will blow her readers minds. And break our hearts. And make us smile and laugh. Her books contain everything a book should and if you haven't read a book by Richelle Mead you're missing out on stories that will stick with you for a lifetime.

2 comments:

  1. I really had to skim this review because I didn't want to spoil myself but I saw that you gave it 5 stars. So glad you liked it! :) I don't know why I can't just jump in when so many people are loving this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha no problem! I kept it pretty spoiler free, but I get it. I always skim reviews if there sequels to books I haven't read because I hate it when a book gets ruined. Yes! I absolutely loved this one! You totally need to jump in and read this series. Its so good. Thanks for stopping by Lauren! :D

      Delete