May 14, 2012

The Unquiet

The Unquiet by Jeanine Garsee drew me in by its cover alone. It gives off this really mysterious vibe that instantly drew me in and I had this hunch that this book was going to be awesome. The summary for the book is what sealed the deal. I gotta say my hunch was right, but this book totally suppressed my hunch. This book wasn't just awesome, it was amazing.

Summary from Goodreads:

Sixteen-year-old Rinn Jacobs has secrets: One, she’s bipolar. Two, she killed her grandmother.

After a suicide attempt, and now her parents' separation, Rinn and her mom move from California to the rural Ohio town where her mother grew up. Back on her medications and hoping to stay well, Rinn settles into her new home, undaunted by the fact that the previous owner hanged herself in Rinn's bedroom. At school, her classmates believe the school pool is haunted by Annaliese, a girl who drowned there. But when a reckless séance goes awry, and terrible things start happening to her new friends—yet not to her—Rinn is determined to find out why she can’t be "touched" by Annaliese...or if Annaliese even exists.

With the help of Nate Brenner, the hunky “farmer boy” she’s rapidly falling for, Rinn devises a dangerous plan to uncover the truth. Soon reality and fantasy meld into one, till Rinn finds it nearly impossible to tell the difference. When a malevolent force threatens the lives of everyone she cares about--not to mention her own--she can't help wondering: who should she really be afraid of?

Annaliese? Or herself?


Rinn is a really complicated character. From the moment we first meet her she is really cynical and angry, but she's also got this great sense of humor that makes you laugh. What exactly is wrong with Rinn? Well, lots of things. Rinn isn't that character who's biggest issue is scoring a date for homecoming. Rinn is that character who tried to kill her self after she killed her grandmother. The book's summary makes it sound like Rinn physically tried to hurt her grandmother, but really that isn't what happened. Yes, maybe if Rinn would have done things differently that night her grandmother might still be alive. Through out the book Rinn is battling with her past and the awful things she's done. But it isn't just her past she's battling. No, not even close.

The moment I started this book I could not stop. I had to keep reading because with each passing second, with each single word the book just kept getting better and better. I couldn't come up for air because I so desperately wanted to figure out what the heck was happening. Let me start of by saying that this book really is insane. It makes you think and wonder and go "Holy crap! Never saw that coming." Lots of strange things happen and sometimes you just don't know whether Rinn is actually insane or if she might be the sanest person in the book. Rinn is bipolar and is on medication to keep the voices and delusions away. I honestly never questioned Rinn's sanity until a couple chapters towards the end of the book because things started to get real weird. Everything that takes place before the ending all made sense in the ways that Rinn was pieceing everything together so it seemed like she was perfectly sane, that there really was a ghost screwing with everyone's lives.

I don't know how Jeanine Garsee did it, but she wrote this amazing book that was so vivid I really felt like I could see everything in my head perfectly. I haven't read a book like this one, not in a while. It was seriously like I was watching a psychological thriller in my head. The book really makes you think and you have to really stay on your toes and pay attention to every little detail. 

Jeanine Garsee is not an author who is afraid to kill off characters. Lots of people die in this book. People you come to like too. I'm not gonna say who dies, just that everyone who falls victim to Annalise never make it out unharmed. That ghost gets what she wants, and she wants to get payback to those who wronged her. I pretty much figured that storyline out easy and fast, it was predictable. Honestly the first character to die and the people who wronged Annalise were the only things predictable. The rest? Did not see coming. Lots of the stuff in this book was intense, and creepy at times too. 

Nate was one of my favorite characters. I loved it when he appeared on the pages. Though I will say at first he's kind of flat and you just aren't sure if this dude is gonna ever turn into an interesting character and then BAM! Nate Brenner turns into this character who you love. I definitely fall for the farmer boy characters pretty fast. By Chapter 3 I knew I was madly in love with this character. The thing with this book though you gotta be careful who you let yourself like because in The Unquiet not a single soul is safe.

Lets talk about that ending. THAT ENDING. What in the world? What does it mean? Does it mean what I think it means? I just don't know. That whole ending was kind of weird. In a good way, but weird. The very last words made me want to yell in protest. That can not be the ending. There must be a second book! Right? I sure hope so. I would love to dive into Rinn's world some more. There are still some unanswered questions such as-Where's Lacy? What's gonna happen to Meg? What does that ending mean?! The Unquiet isn't even out yet and I desperately want more. I will cross my fingers and toes and hope there is another book. 

The Unquiet is no doubt a book that everyone has to read, a book everyone will be sorry they even thought to pass up. It's freaky and spooky and down right wonderful. After this I can't wait to read another book by Jeanine Garsee. I'm giving The Unquiet 5 out of 5 stars. How could I not? The book had me hooked right from the start. Rinn's story is really fascinating and readers will instantly get caught up in the crazy stuff that starts to happen. Pick up this book the day it comes out. Do not wait or hesitate, because you will regret it. The Unquiet is expected to be published on July 17 of 2012.

~~Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book before its official publication date!~~

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the cover, I was drawn in right away. Your review makes this sound amazing. And now I really want to know how it ends. It sounds amazing and I love that there are still parts that are really surprising. Love the review Bailey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The cover is totally what drew me towards this book in the first place. Thanks Andrea! The book was really amazing! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for this awesome review!

      Delete