May 9, 2012

Don't You Wish

Don't You Wish by Roxanne St. Claire was one of those books that sounded really interesting and had a great cover that I knew I just had to read. I was really surprised by this book, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it when I first started the book, but it turned out to be a fantastic read!

Summary from Goodreads:

When plain and unpopular Annie Nutter gets zapped by one of her dad's whacked-out inventions, she lands in a parallel universe where her life becomes picture-perfect. Now she's Ayla Monroe, daughter of the same mother but a different father—and she's the gorgeous, rich queen bee of her high school. 

In this universe, Ayla lives in glitzy Miami instead of dreary Pittsburgh and has beaucoup bucks, courtesy of her billionaire—if usually absent—father. Her friends hit the clubs, party backstage at concerts, and take risks that are exhilirating . . . and illegal. Here she's got a date to lose her V-card with the hottest guy she's ever seen.

But on the inside, Ayla is still Annie.

So when she's offered the chance to leave the dream life and head home to Pittsburgh, will she take it?

The choice isn't as simple as you think.



Annie Nutter is a no body. She's invisible to the popular people at her school and she wishes that her life was different. She wishes she was drop dead gorgeous, rich and popular and didn't have a brother who burps nonstop and a dad who collects junk and makes crazy inventions. Her wish comes true, but life turns out to be anything but perfect when you are flawless, rich and popular girl. Turns out life kind of sucks. I loved Annie instantly. She was just one of those characters who you got to know instantly and loved them. The first few chapters are Annie as Annie but soon Annie isn't Annie anymore. Well, Annie is still Annie only she's now in another girls body. And I gotta say there were a lot of chapters where I started to dislike Annie for the things she was doing. I understand that Annie thought that her being Ayla was just a dream and all so what harm would come out of the things she did if she was only dreaming? But still in those chapters when she was so worried about screwing up and losing her popular status in this new life I really didn't like her. But then Annie started to realize that even though she was Ayla, she was still Annie and Annie didn't do drugs, she didn't give it up to a jerk she doesn't even like, and she sure as heck isn't the type to steal. Once she started to be the character I liked in those few chapters when we meet this character it made it really hard to put this book down.

I really loved how Roxanne St. Claire created this story. You have two completely different girls, and Annie ends up living Ayla's life. But what really made this book interesting was how the two lives intertwined. We see lots of characters from Annie's life in Ayla's, but nothing is the way it is back in Pittsburgh. Everything is different in Miami. I got so caught up in the story and with trying to figure out exactly how this happened to her in the first place. Roxanne explains it so clearly that I never got confused even though it was a confusing concept of how it all happened. 

This book was a great way to show how money can't buy you happiness. For starters, back in Pittsburgh Annie totally got dissed by the hottest guy in school right before she ended up as Ayla. And now she has this smoking hot boyfriend, Ryder. I instantly hated Ryder. He didn't even need to say a word to know he was a complete jerk. He may be hot and all, but when the guy is a tool he totally becomes unattractive. Ryder most definitely has to be ranking number one on the jerk charts of contemporary YA. 

Don't You Wish all so goes to show that when your popular their are people out to take your place as Queen Bee. And that means even your friends, who aren't really your friends. Jade was one of those so called friends, but she wasn't the one who got on my nerves the most. She actually seemed okay at some points in the book, but she definitely was not someone you want to call a friend. It was Bliss who annoyed me to no end. That girl needs a real good slap. Maybe it would knock some sense into her. Probably not. Only way to sum up Bliss is to say that her and Ryder were made for each other. Get my drift?

Charlie Zelinksy. The moment Charlie was introduced into the book I was instantly intrigued. Something just told me this was the boy who was going to get Annie to see that she was perfect as just Annie. I was right about Charlie, and I was sooo right about him being the character that totally was going to sweep me off my feet. I mean seriously how can you not love Charlie? He's so not what everybody thinks he is and I loved learning more about him and his life. I was so sure this was going to be one of those books were you fall for the guy only to get a sad, yet romantic ending where they don't end up together. The ending could be sad for Charlie and Annie. Or it could be happy. Or possibly it could be a mixture of both. You will just have to read the book to find out because I'm not gonna tell you! But I'll just say that the book ended how it was supposed to end and it was a ending that wrapped up a great book perfectly.

I really enjoyed this book! More than I thought I would, and I say that only because there were points in the book were I just couldn't get into it. That was all when Annie was trying so hard to keep her popular status that I just couldn't relate to her decisions that it just made it hard to read. But once she got past that I totally got engrossed in the story and its characters. Roxanne St. Claire has written a solid story showing you how money may get you some fancy things, but it can't get you what you need most in life like friends, family, and love and support. I think anyone who is a fan of contemporary will love this book! I know I enjoyed it and am giving it 4 out of 5 stars. Defiantly check this one out! I would recommend the book instantly to anyone.


~Thank you Netgalley for providing me with this book before its publication date!~

1 comment:

  1. This books sounds really good. It definitely sounds like things that happen to popular people (overdone a bit of course). I know that the popular people in my high school were like that, backstabbing all the time and what not. I was happy that I had been on the outside of that. Great review!

    ReplyDelete