May 2, 2012

Dead Time

I've never really read to many mystery novels. I'm not exactly sure why this is, but it's something that I just never really read. Dead Time is a mystery novel and its one that keeps you guessing who the killers are and what happened to Rose's mom and step-dad. Once I started this book I had a hard time not reading it. I got sucked into Rose's life and the mystery surrounding it.

Summary from Goodreads:

When Rose was twelve, her mother and stepfather went out for dinner and never came back. Now seventeen, she lives with her grandmother and goes to school in London. She’s always wondered about her stepbrother, Joshua, whom she only lived with briefly and who was also relocated after their parents’ disappearance. When Rose and Joshua meet again, they find they have much in common, including a desire to uncover the mystery surrounding their parents’ disappearance . . . and a mutual attraction to each other. But when Rose witnesses the murders of not one but two of her classmates, she must uncover who is behind these violent crimes. And when she and Joshua discover that a much larger conspiracy is underway, both of their lives will be in danger. From international bestseller Anne Cassidy, this first in a fastpaced and romantic new mystery series will keep readers guessing.

Dead Time.. what do I say about this book? For starters the summary for the book instantly had me wanting to read this book. There was just something about it that intrigued me, it sounded like my kind of book. And I was right. This was my kind of book. It totally had me on my toes trying to piece all these things together and some things I had right and others I just didn't expect. That's what I liked about this book. Some of it you just new you had right, while others you thought you had it figured out only to find out that you weren't right at all. It was a really nice balance of knowing and not knowing.

Rose isn't a character of brightness. She's a dark character from her strictly black and white clothes to her attitude and the way she interacts with people. She often comes across as rude and doesn't get off to well with people, but I really liked Rose. She has her reasons for being so angry and bitter. Her mom and step-dad have been missing for five years. She lives with her grandmother who doesn't really seem to enjoy Rose's existences in her house. There's a part in the book where Rose is thinking about how her name is Rose and how Rose's are bright and colorful and she's just not. It totally describes her perfectly in that section. 

Instantly you are thrown into one of the murders in this book. A boy Rose dislikes very much is murdered, and she's there to witness it. Rose knows she shouldn't get involved, but she just can't help it. Soon she starts to try and figure out who murdered this boy from her school and why. It isn't until another person who is connected to Ricky dies that she turns into a bit of a Nancy Drew. She gets herself involved in both these murders and ends up figuring out one of them before even the police do. Apart of me suspected it was that character who murdered that other character, but then I don't know I thought it was who Rose was originally suspecting at first. But I wasn't to shocked when that killer was revealed. But when the person who killed the boy was revealed I can honestly say that shocked me. I'm trying not to give anything away about a lot of the revaluations and twists in this book and I'm finding it really hard. Let me just say that there were quite a few things in the last few chapters that shocked me. 

Joshua, Rose's step-brother but not really her step-brother, is a character who I really liked at times but then there were times where he kind of got on my nerves. He was a great character don't get me wrong but though I liked him I felt he was so consumed with trying to find his dad and Kathy that he totally was just dismissing Rose's feelings. I totally understand his need to find his father, but he didn't really stop to really think how hard this was for Rose. He just kept getting her involved even though she was just trying to accept the fact that her mom and Brendan were dead. Or so the police say. 

There wasn't a lot of romance in this book. I for see some developing in more books to come, but I was a bit disappointed about the romance. There were some moments, but not a moment I wanted. I just kept thinking will you kiss her already?! I'm hoping a kiss will happen in the second book. 

The Morpho butterfly. I am so intrigued by this. What is the significance of this tattoo? At first you don't really think there is one. Rose just got it because her mother had one. But you soon begin to realize there is something about this tattoo. I can not wait to find out what the meaning is behind the butterfly tattoos. I love the way that Anne Cassidy describes them, especially Joshua's.

Dead Time was a book that keeps you on your toes guessing. I really enjoyed this book and can't wait to read the next installment. There are so many unanswered questions and with the way this book ended the second one is going to be even better than this one. I'm excited to see what will happen next! Dead Time is getting 3.9 out of 5 stars from me! Defiantly check this one out. You will easily fall into the mystery that lies within the pages.



~Thank you Netgalley for allowing me to review this book before it's publication date!~

1 comment:

  1. I've always been a fan of mystery books, I adored Nancy Drew books. This one sounds really interesting (and especially coming from someone who usually isn't into mysteries). I really want to read this and I kind of like that it's a series too. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete