May 22, 2012

Chopsticks

When I first came across Chopsticks I thought it had a really beautiful cover and a summary that really made me want to read it as soon as I could. I had no idea that this book wasn't the typical book I'd read. It's a story told with pictures and very few words. I was shocked, but completely enthralled to read it.

Summary from Chopsticks site:

Glory is a piano prodigy. After her mother died, she retreated into her music. Her father raised her with the goal of playing sold out shows at Carnegie Hall and across the globe. Brilliant and lonely, Glory is drawn to Frank, who moves in next door. She loses herself in his paintings and drawings, mix CD’s and late night IM conversations. Soon, Frank becomes both her connection to the world and her escape from reality.

Before long, Glory is unable to play anything but the song Chopsticks; F and G notes moving closer together, and farther apart.

Now, Glory has disappeared. But nothing is what it seems. And we must decide what is real, what is imagined, and what has been madness all along...


 


To be perfectly honest I don't even know what to say about this book. It was really different than anything I'd ever read. It was odd and strangely beautiful and it left me with a ton of questions. The moment I got the book I had to read it and see what it held inside since it appeared to hold a really interesting story. And an interesting story it held inside indeed, one that I can't get out of my head.

I loved all of the pictures in this book, it was all really amazing. But I felt like I wasn't getting all that I wanted out of it. Don't get me wrong I loved how different this book was from anything I've ever seen or read. I loved that instead of a thousand words to describe something there were images, stunning images. It was all really fascinating and very airy. It took a really ominous turn though.

You follow all these pictures of Glory and Frank who fall in love and it's really beautiful and makes you smile. Glory is a pianist of only sixteen and already she is going on an international tour. She lost her mother at a young age, her father is driving her mad and he hates Frank. And suddenly all she can seem to play is Chopsticks. Honestly, I didn't get to know these characters at all, not really. It was really difficult to find anything to grasp onto and really get to know Glory and Frank. The two exchanged letters, IM's and few snippets of conversation that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. It was a bittersweet romance from start to finish and whether it actually happened or not is totally up to the reader to decide really. I don't want to give anything away, but the way this book ended reveals that nothing is at all what it appears to be. Not. At. All.

I really, really wish that this book would have been longer. It ended right as it was starting to get interesting. You're left with so many questions! I'm still so torn whether or not I liked this book or not. In a sense I did enjoy it, but it just wasn't something that had me totally whisked away. I will say though that the moment I started it I couldn't stop. As I type this I find myself wanting to go back to look at everything more closely, to figure out just what this story holds. Glory is obviously ill, but was everything made up or was some of it actually real? I don't know, but the way the book ended with those beautiful images defiantly makes me want more.

I'm not sure if I understood this book that well, but I think that everyone who reads this book will get something completely different out of it. Just depends on how you see each and every image and word. This one defiantly makes you think, hard. I definitely think that everyone should experience this book, because it really is beautiful. It's totally different than anything you will ever read. Chopsticks is getting 3.9 out of 5 stars from me. This book is going to stick with me for a while. And the longer I think about it the more I like it. It may not be for everyone, but it's defiantly going to stick with anyone who reads it.


No comments:

Post a Comment