May 30, 2012

Candid

I had never heard of Candid by Michelle Pennington until she contacted me asking if I'd like to review her book. It sounded like a really cute book so I instantly said yes. This book was far more than just cute-it was outstanding! I devoured this book in one sitting, I just couldn't stop reading not for one second.

Summary from Goodreads:

Life is simple for high school senior, Sienna Whitfield. With a few good friends, a camera, and a dream, she has everything she needs to be happy. But when Jordan Rubio, the most popular girl at Haskins High, makes her mad, she decides to use the power of photography to right a few social wrongs. As if that doesn’t cause enough drama in her life, she realizes she’s falling for the new guy, Lee Franklin. Strong and protective, he’s just what she needs to survive the craziness she’s stirred up at school. If only she didn’t have to keep her feelings for Lee a secret from her mom.


Candid is about a senior girl named Sienna Whitfield. When we first are introduced to Sienna she is on her way to her schools football game to get some photos for the paper. I instantly liked Sienna. She's not a character of perfection, we first meet her and she's having a bit of an embarrassing spell with a gate that seems to hate her. Her love for photography and passion to go far in life was really something that I loved about her. She was driven something that I could relate to. Honestly, Sienna was one of those characters who I thought "Hey, she kind of reminds me of me." it allowed me to really relate to the main character and get so engrossed in her story that I couldn't stop reading. 

When I first read the summary I thought oh man this girl is gonna cause some series drama at her high school. And yes, there is drama in this book but nothing like I was expecting. In fact what Sienna did actually did some good even if at first you didn't really see the good in it. Though her actions did have consequences let me tell you. I won't reveal exactly what kind, but lets just say she made the wrong people mad that is for sure. But even with the consequences, I liked that Sienna was posting these photos of classmates that didn't get the kind of notice or attention that they should have on blog. Yes she's a blogger! That was really cool to get to read since I myself am a blogger! Just the concept of her blog was really cool and inspiring! She wouldn't have been the same character I liked if she didn't post those pictures on her blog. 

Lee. Oh man, Lee. That boy had me drooling over him the moment he smiled at Sienna. Lee is what every girl wants. He's sweet, kind, hilarious, good-looking while still possessing a personality to die for, and not to mention he's got the kind of manners that seems to be non-existent these days with guys. He's just...Lee. I loved this character more than I can say. It was so obvious how much he liked Sienna but she was just to blinded by the fact she didn't think she was pretty to even see that this guy was head over heels for her. Their whole relationship is pretty complicated like seriously complicated, but at times oh so bittersweet. 

In Candid Sienna's mom has set this rule that she is not allowed to date until she graduates from high school. Sienna never had a problem with this rule. One guys never seemed to notice her and two its not like she was really into any of the guys at her school. Then Lee enters the picture and everything changes. These two have the kind of chemistry ever girl wishes she and her biggest crush had. It's so real and true that it makes you go "Awww!" I was so frustrated with Sienna's mom through out this book because she just seemed so unrealistic about the whole dating thing. Yes, I understood where she was coming from but then I just didn't anymore. You can't help yourself when you have feelings for someone and because of her moms mistake she is getting punished. Well, I shouldn't say punished because really she isn't being punished. Her mom loves her. She really does and you soon see that everything she is doing is because of how much she loves Sienna. 

Michelle Pennington has a way of writing a story that instantly takes you captive. She wrote this really fantastic story that had all the right touches of romance and drama, and those moments were you burst out laughing. Candid is defiantly a book that needs to be ready by anyone who loves to get lost in a story with fantastic characters. I'm giving Candid 5 out of 5 stars! I can not wait for the second book in the series to come out! I need some more Lee. Read this book you will love it as much as I did and you won't be able to stop reading until you've read the very last page!



~~Thank you Michelle Pennington for providing me with a copy of Candid!~~

1 comment:

  1. Amazing review! I love when you find a character in a book and it feels like it's your life you're reading! This sounds amazing and I am really interested in the drama that Sienna would cause at her school, thanks for bringing this one to my attention!

    ReplyDelete