May 17, 2012

Blood Song

Blood Song is a book that is only published in Australia and thanks to Dani @ Refracted Light Reviews I got the chance to read it. She was hosting this book tour and I knew I just had to sign up. I am so very glad that I did sign up because this book was amazing. Way more amazing than I ever thought it would be.

Summary from Goodreads:

I wanted to turn but I was held captive by the song on the wind. I’m coming, I told the voices. Please, wait for me.

When her sister becomes betrothed to a prince in a northern nation, Zeraphina’s only consolations are that her loyal animal companions are by her side – and that her burning hunger to travel north is finally being sated.

Already her black hair and pale eyes mark her out as different, but now Zeraphina must be even more careful to keep her secret safe. Craving blood is not considered normal behaviour for anyone, let alone a princess. So when the king’s advisor, Rodden, seems to know more about her condition than she does, Zeraphina is determined to find out more.

Zeraphina must be willing to sacrifice everything if she’s to uncover the truth – but what if the truth is beyond her worst nightmares?


Zeraphina is a princess. She's an odd princess with hair only two shades away from solid black and eyes that are like staring into ice. She's a princess with a hunger...a hunger for blood. The moment I started this book I couldn't stop. I was instantly captivated by the story and its characters. Zeraphina is a girl who kicks butt at archery and has a cat an eagle as pets. Right from the start I liked Zeraphina. She wasn't the kind of character to just sit when told to sit. No, she had to defy those orders and make it clear that she wasn't sitting because she was told to sit. She was sitting because she wanted to sit. I love characters like this. I love reading from a prospective where the character just doesn't do what she's told. It makes it such a interesting read, especially when reading how the other characters react. She's often sticking her nose where it shouldn't be as she tries to figure out what just is going on with her and what the strange things are in the sky in Pergamia.

Rodden. I just have to talk about him right away because I loved him so much. Zeraphina has it so wrong with him at first. She is so convinced he's the bad guy in the story, when really he's not. It was so funny the way these two interacted. Not once was there a scene with these two characters when they weren't bickering. You instantly can see that these two like each other, even though they don't want to admit it or are blind and can't even see that they are meant to be! Rodden is a really broody, mysterious character who likes to push Zeraphina's buttons. There's a lot you don't learn about Rodden in Blood Song, but I like that. I like that Rhiannon left me wanting to learn more about him. Rodden is most definitely a swoon worthy  character that has me wanting to read all his parts in the book over again!

Now there wasn't much romance in this book, and by romance I mean the protagonist and her main boy kissing it up and professing their love to each other. None of that was present. But what was in this book was better. It was more...real I suppose. The tension between Zeraphina and Rodden is a mile long, but you get these tender and bittersweet moments between them that makes it so beautiful. There is most defiantly a strong connection between these two, a big one if I might say so myself. I can't wait to see how their relationship will progress. Just thinking about reading more about these two makes me get so excited! 

The world that Rhiannon created is so amazing and so unique. I honestly don't even know where to begin to describe the creatures she's created. In the book their called Lharmellin. They're these really monstrous looking things who wear dark cloaks and instead of having feet float around on a worm like tail. Lots of people are calling these things vampires, but I don't know. They drink blood and all so I guess they would be vampires. They sure aren't sexy like some vampires I have fallen for in books. These are definitely not any creatures you want to get caught by. Lharmell the world which these monsters live in was really dark and creepy. Everything about the world in this book was amazing and not to mention addicting. I just couldn't stop reading. It's all I could think about because I was so engrossed in Zeraphina's story and learning along with her just what she is.

Rhiannon Hart defiantly has a gift for writing. It was so easy to fall into her way of writing. Sometimes with new authors it can be a bit difficult getting used to the way they write, but with Rhiannon it just flowed so easily and beautifully. She created a world that was so well described and vivid I could picture everything in my head.

Blood Song is getting 5 out of 5 stars from me. It was such a unique read that left me wanting book two right away. This book was so outstanding. It's defiantly a book that needs to be published in the states so everyone can fall in love with the world  like I did. If you ever get the chance to read this book take that chance and totally read this book! It is amazing! More amazing than its stunning cover, which is totally amazing! It portrays Lharmell so perfectly. And the model is Zerphina to a tee! I could gush and gush about this book for hours but I'm just going to leave it with this: Read. This. Book!


~~Thank you so much to Dani @ Refracted Light Reviews for providing me with this book!!~~

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really great book. Fantastic review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! It was so fantastic! :)

      Delete
  2. YAY! :) I'm SO glad you loved it! I agree, I just love both their characters as individuals, and even more together. Like you said the romance builds slowly and it IS more real because of it... plus it feels more true to their characters. Fantastic review... and guess what, not too much longer to wait for Blood Storm! August! :) Which is awesome, because I need more Rodden... stat. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! They are both fantastic as individual characters but together they're even better. Exactly! It wouldn't have felt right if the romance was rushed. Thanks Dani! I know!! Not to much longer...but it seems so far away! LOL! YES! Rodden I need more Rodden. He's definitely one of my new favorite YA boys. Thanks for stopping! :)

      Delete
  3. I am really sad to hear that this book is only published in Australia, because after reading your review I definitely want to read this! I love female characters that kick butt, and Zeraphina sounds like the perfect character! Awesome review! Hope I can find this in Canada in the future.

    ReplyDelete