Apr 25, 2012

Unbreak My Heart

Melissa Walker is no doubt one of my new favorite authors. Unbreak My Heart was my first book to read from this author and lets just say it was amazing and so much more. I literally got teary eyed when I realized it was over because I just didn't want it to end!

Summary from Goodreads:

Sophomore year broke Clementine Williams’ heart. She fell for her best friend’s boyfriend and long story short: he’s excused, but Clem is vilified and she heads into summer with zero social life. Enter her parents’ plan to spend the summer on their sailboat. Normally the idea of being stuck on a tiny boat with her parents and little sister would make Clem break out in hives, but floating away sounds pretty good right now. Then she meets James at one of their first stops along the river. He and his dad are sailing for the summer and he’s just the distraction Clem needs. Can he break down Clem’s walls and heal her broken heart? Told in alternating chapters that chronicle the year that broke Clem’s heart and the summer that healed it, Unbreak My Heart is a wonderful dual love story that fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Susane Colasanti will flock to.

Okay. I'm finding it very difficult to put into words how much I loved this book, and when I say I loved this book I mean I loved everything about this book down to every little detail. It was just so good and when it was over I wanted to whine because there wouldn't be anymore James or Clementine or even Crazy Olive. And I'll even admit that I got a little bit teary eyed about it too, but in a "This book was so amazing I want to hug it!" kind of way. I started this book not knowing what to expect because this was my very first book to read by Melissa Walker and instantly from the very opening line I was hooked. All I could think about was reading this book and I sorta wish I would have read it a littler slower so I could still be reading it. But I devoured it and will now proceed to reread my favorite parts the moment I finish this review.

Clementine is a bad person. She hates herself for what she has done and she's sad and depressed and can't stop thinking about what she did. Honestly she thinks about it so much to torture herself because bad people shouldn't be allowed to be happy. Not for one second. Right? Lets just say that Clementine has it all wrong. Sure she did something that hurt someone she cares so much about, but she isn't a terrible person like she thinks she is. She made a mistake. People make mistakes its only natural. She could have stopped flirting with him and she could have not let him hold her hands those few times, but lets face it Ethan was pursuing her and gets off so easy that it made me so angry when I found out that Amanda didn't dumb his sorry butt.

While I was reading Unbreak My Heart I thought I liked Ethan and could understand why Clementine liked him. Yes, Ethan had a girlfriend-Clementine's best friend to make matters worse-but the two just clicked. I was a little torn. I understood Clementine and why she liked Ethan. But I also understood how wrong her feelings were and Clementine knew how wrong they were too. She even tried to make them stop, but of course that wasn't so easy to do. Me liking Ethan totally started to change when Clementine confronted Ethan about certain things and he just brushed it off like no big deal. Then I really just didn't like him when I realized how much of a coward he was. He let Amanda think all these terrible things about Clementine like it was all her doing. He didn't own up to the fact that he was the one making the first moves. 

I loved how in this book we went from present Clementine to past Clementine. It really made it easy to fall into the story. It made me feel like I was getting every little detail I needed, like I wasn't missing anything about the story one bit. What I loved most though was how different past Clementine is to present Clementine and even how at the very ending of the book Clementine is shiny and new not the same person she was from the start of the summer. She changes so much from the very first page of the book and you see her gradually changing with each page in this book and it all leads up to this change that makes Clementine who she is. And that is a really great person. I really loved this character. 

There's this boy. And his name is James. James is sweet. James is funny. James is kind. James is the kind of guy that makes you smile even if you are the saddest person on plant earth. James is one great guy and he had me swooning from his very first appearance. What can I say? I dig funny guys.

"Okay, back away," he says.

"Huh?" I ask.

"You're obviously an assassin sent to kill me by collision," he says.

I smile slightly and touch my forehead which is throbbing a little.

"I could say the same thing about you."

Just then, Olive rounds the corner behind the redheaded guy and hits him-smack!-in the butt.

"Ooh, sorry!" she says, hurrying past him to get to me. She throws condensed milk into our basket.

"What the-?" says redheaded guy. "Two assassins?!"

Oh James how you make me smile! That is one of my favorite parts in the book. James has fire red hair and blue eyes that you could drown in their so gorgeous. At first Clementine doesn't even want to get to know this guy. He's upbeat and always grinning like he's never seen a day of sadness, but their is a lot to James she doesn't know. What scares Clementine the most is he sees and understands things about her that he just shouldn't. I just don't even know where to begin to express my love for this character. He has so many amazing qualities and he's a big reason Clementine learns to smile again. But hes not the only reason. Clementine's family has a big part in that too. I really loved Clementines family. Especially Olive.

Olive is a smart ten year old who sees and understands more about Clementine than Clementine realizes. Olive wasn't one of those siblings in a book that was a brat or even remotely annoying. I enjoyed Olive's presence in this book. She was so sweet. Clementines parents were even great and often had me cracking a smile. To be totally honest every single character in this book was so well written that it was difficult not to like them all.

Amanda. What do I say about her? I feel like she was to harsh and a bit stupid. How can she be so mean to Clementine and forgive Ethan so easily? I just don't understand it. I know she was hurt and all but she and Clementine had a history. She should have heard her out instead of just instantly hating her. Though I totally get were her anger comes from, but still I feel like she was a little cruel.

This whole story takes places on a sail boat-aside from flashes in the past-and I loved learning little lingo sailors like to use and I loved the thought of being on a sail boat the whole summer. It seemed so perfect. To wake up to see the sun over the water. Sailing never really appealed to me until I read this book. Now I want to take a sailing trip for a summer.

I hated and loved how this book ended. I hated the ending because it ended! It shouldn't have ended. I know, I know it had to end. It just had to end, but it was just such a good story I didn't want it to end. I loved how this book ended because it couldn't have ended on a better note. It was a great ending to an amazing book.

This is probably one of my longest reviews ever. But I just had so much to say about this book and how amazing it was. I am now one hundred percent in love with Melissa Walkers writing. I can't wait to read another book from her! Unbreak My Heart is getting 5 out of 5 stars from me, but honestly it earns an infinity amount of stars from me. It was that good guys. Unbreak My Heart comes out May 22nd of 2012. Pre-order this book right now and be ready for its awesomeness to arrive in your mailbox. Trust me when I say you want it to arrive in your mailbox the day it is out because this is a book that has to be read by everyone.


~Thank you Netgalley for providing me with this book before its official publication date!~

1 comment:

  1. When I first see the cover for Unbreak my Heart I think "ohh pretty" and then I start singing "Un-break my heart" by Toni Braxton (officially stuck in my head, lol).

    Great review! This book sounds like an emotional rollercoaster.. but a good one!

    ReplyDelete