Apr 23, 2012

Summer Of The Wolves

Summer of the Wolves was one of those books that I'd randomly stumbled upon and had no idea what it was about or if it would be any good, but I wanted to read it anyways. The cover was gorgeous and the title alone really made me want to read it. Once I did read the summary it sounded pretty good so I knew I had to read it! I'm really glad that I stumbled upon this book because I really enjoyed it!

Summary from Goodreads:

Age, This is the story of Diana and Stephanie, new stepsisters on a vacation at a ranch with Diana's mom and Stephanie's dad, who are newlyweds. Diana has a 'mood disorder' for which she takes medication. In her estimation, Stephanie is just too perfect. But Stephanie has some secrets of her own. The girls band together to free two captive wolves, an action that has unexpected and unintended consequences. Told in the alternating voices of Diana and Stephanie, the book explores themes of family, friendship, mental health, and nature.


Summer Of The Wolves starts off in Diana's point of view and she's in the back of the car dreaming about horses. I instantly liked Diana and was interested to find out more about her and her issues. I also instantly clicked with Diana's love for horses and animals in general and loved reading about a character who had such a deep passion for animals as myself. She's a pretty complicated character, and I loved reading about her learning to accept certain things in her life. Like her new step-dad Norm and her new step-sister Stephanie. From the start you know Diana isn't real thrilled to have these two people in her life. She does everything in her power to ignore Stephanie. She feels like Stephanie is trying to replace Diana and take her mom away from her. Diana in general has a hard time interacting with people since she has a mood disorder I guess is what you would call it, but I do think that her anger really made her blind to the truth that was right in front of her.

Stephanie is the complete opposite to Diana. Diana is moody and often doesn't do what people want her to do while Stephanie is really cheerful and tries to please the people around her, but the thing is Stephanie has her own issues and though she's cheerful on the outside she's not necessarily like that on the inside. The one thing I loved most about Stephanie was her determination and the fact that even though Diana could be pretty cruel to her she didn't give up trying to become friends with Diana. In the end the fact that these two girls are so different ended up helping both of them. With each other they over came things they never could with out each other.

I love how this book is set on a ranch and its all about wild life and horses. It was the perfect kind of setting for me because I totally love wilderness, wolves and horses. What really made me love this book the most though was how beautifully Lisa Williams Kline described all the horses and wilderness and not to mention those wolves. Those wolves were such a big part of this story and what I loved about the wolves was how they related a lot to the two main characters Stephanie and Diana, almost like Waya was Diana and Oginali was Stephanie in wolf form.  These wolves are what really brought these two step sisters together and it made for a really great story.

There isn't really much romance in this book, but the author was definitely hinting at some. For Diana she finds friendship in a boy named Russell. The two instantly click. She tells him things she'd never imagine she'd tell anyone and he tells her things that he probably wouldn't openly share the way he does with her. I loved reading about these two interacting with each other. It was great to read about and I hope in the second book there will be more Russell because there is defiantly a lot unresolved between those two.  Diana meets Nick and instantly you know the boy is head over heels for her. The two are really cute together, almost a perfect match. I liked Nick, but I defiantly liked reading about Russell more.

Another thing I'd like to mention is how there is a lot of mention of Cherokee and their beliefs and some of their stories. I can't even begin to tell you how much I enjoyed reading about that stuff. I love learning about Cherokee and getting to read about them in this book was really great. My favorite was the story about the two wolves fighting. That was so fascinating to read about and totally true. To be honest this book was just full of stuff I loved. I can't wait to read more by this author!

I didn't know what to expect when I started this book and what I got was a really beautiful story about family, friendship, trust and so much more. I look forward to reading the next book in this series. Diana and Stephanie were two really great characters who you instantly love to learn about and follow them through there adventures and issues. I'm really loving the way Lisa Williams Kline writes and will defiantly be picking up more of her books especially since this one was so good! Summer Of The Wolves is a fast and enjoyable read. I'm giving Summer Of The Wolves 4 out of 5 stars. Anyone who is into horses and really great stories about families coming together defiantly pick this one up!




~Thanks to Netgalley for allowing me to read and review this book before its publication date!~

No comments:

Post a Comment