Apr 6, 2012

The Scorpio Races

I've wanted to read a book by Maggie Stiefvater for a very long time but for some insane reason never bought any of her books. And when I did finally buy two of her books they sat on my bookcase for way to long. Finally I picked up The Scorpio Races and let me just say that I was a moron for not reading any of her books sooner.

Summary from Goodreads:

It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.


The Scorpio Races is about a girl named Puck-her real name is Kate but people often call her Puck-who finds herself entering into the Scorpio Races the first girl to ever do this. She knows shes crazy and has thoughts of backing out, but she just can't. When I first started this book I often had to keep rereading sentences because I would get confused. It took me a couple chapters to get the swing of how Maggie Stiefvater writes, which is seriously beautiful might I just say, but once I did I loved every word. Her writing is so descriptive and she really writes with a kind of voice that keeps you hooked. I've never read anything like this before. The way Maggie writes is seriously magical. The woman knows how to make words run together so beautifully.

In The Scorpio Races the chapters alternate from Puck's point of view and Sean Kendricks point of view.  I loved this about the book because each was so different. Puck often brings up memories of when she was a kid and would get scolded for spitting on someones shoe because she didn't like what they had to say, while Sean is a very reserved and quiet guy. Their different, but in some ways their the same. I really loved these two characters and especially when the two were interacting with each other. 

The love between Sean and Puck is great. Puck isn't one of those girls who is thinking about how dreamy he is twenty four seven. Half the time she's glaring at Sean Kendrick. I loved that she wasn't wrapped up about the boy the whole time because it made this love story so good and refreshing. Sean Kendrick is defiantly going to steal your heart when you meet him. There's so much to love about him. There is a bit of mystery to him. I kept wondering as I read what it is about him that makes him able to handle these blood thirsty Water Horses so well. That the sound of his voice whispering calms them in a way that no one else can calm them. There had to be something special about him right? But really its just Sean. He understands what they need to hear and he whispers it to them. 

When I went into this book I never expected to learn that Water Horses are monsters that come from the sea. I thought that it was just about a breed of horses that are called Water Horses because of some Irish Legend or something. Wow was I wrong. Turns out Water Horses come from the sea and when they emerge you better hope to god your not there to see it because most likely it will be the last thing you see. I loved this twist to the story. I'm calling it a twist because I had no idea that these Water Horses were blood thirsty sea creatures. Totally made me love the book even more because I loved learning about the Water Horses. 

Originally going into this book I thought the action was going to be instant and none stop, but really the races don't even happen until pages 360 and beyond. I was a little disappointed about this when I was first reading it because I kept wondering when are the races going to start? But after finishing the book I realize how much better it was because the races didn't occur until the very ending. Those last few chapters were intense and I loved it! That ending was perfect. It made me smile and it honestly made me want to hug the book. It was just so...PERFECT! I have never loved an ending to a book like I have for this one. I know lots of people want a sequel, but to be honest I don't want one. It will ruin that perfect ending to an amazing story.  

I wanted to read The Scorpio Races strictly from its cover alone. I mean look at that cover! It's gorgeous! But it wasn't until I read the summary I realized just how much I wanted to read this book. And then the book trailer was released and I just couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. Took me a long time to actually read it, but once I finally did let me tell you that I regret not reading it sooner. It was truly a fascinating and unique book. I love the way Maggie Stiefvater turned this legend into such an amazing and captivating story. I'm giving The Scorpio Races 5 out of 5 stars. Everyone who loves a good book needs to read The Scorpio Races! Be warned though if you've never read anything by Maggie Stiefvater it takes you a moment to fall in to the magic of her words but once you do you are enchanted forever. Totally can't wait to read another book by her! 

2 comments:

  1. I just read this book last weekend!! I had previously read 'Shiver,' and 'Linger' although I haven't read 'Forever' yet, the last book in the werewolf/romance series. Scorpio races did do the horses justice, and it was nice to see a strong heroine rather than one that was weak or just daydreamed about her boyfriend, haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. The voice and characters written into this story and the rich setting created by Maggie Stiefvater make this book unforgettable!
    Highly recommended Alaska Bear Viewing tours

    ReplyDelete