Apr 9, 2012

Last Breath

I've been a huge fan of Rachel Caine from the moment I read Glass Houses the first book in The Morganville Vampires series. Each book from the very start has been so intriguing and amazing that by book eleven you have to wonder what possible chaos could Rachel Caine come up with when all the chaos she has already done with the previous books has been epic? Well just stop wondering that because all Rachel Caine brings is the epic and Last Breath  had me engaged and breathless from page one.

 
Summary from Goodreads:

With her boss preoccupied researching the Founder Houses in Morganville, student Claire Danvers is left to her own devices when she learns that three vampires have vanished without a trace. She soon discovers that the last person seen with one of the missing vampires is someone new to town-a mysterious individual named Magnus. After an uneasy encounter with Morganville's latest resident, Claire is certain Magnus isn't merely human. But is he a vampire-or something else entirely?




Rachel Caine never fails to impress.  Just when you think that she can't keep things in Morganville interesting she brings in these creatures called Draug. I don't want to give anything away about what they are but I will say this, they scar the crap out of the vampires in Morganville. They bring a whole new meaning to the word creepy.

The Morganville Vampire books never start off dull and Last Breath keeps that trend going. I don't even really know were to begin to talk about this book and not spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it. A lot happens in Last Breath, some pretty intense stuff. We learn a lot about the characters we have been reading about for so long, we see strengths we didn't before and weakness we didn't know they had. There is just so much chaos in the books 335 pages. But as always in that chaos is those moments that make you smile, whether its between Shane and Claire, Eve and Michale or all four combined. That's what I love most about Rachel Cain's books is the dialogue.


"Relax," he whispered. He moved his hands up to cup her face in warmth. "Just relax. The door didn't piss you off."

 "Says the guy who punches walls."

"Yeah, well, the walls had it coming."


Rachel Caine has created some amazing characters and these amazing characters get better and better with each book. Claire is one amazing and strong protagonist. Something happens to her in this book that I didn't see coming, at all. It happened though and it made me gasp. And what does Claire do the moment she is back on her feet? She's out the door trying to save Morganville from the Draug. She's defiantly one of the most selfless characters ever. She never puts her safety before others, half the time she nearly dies because of it but she doesn't care just as long as those she love end up okay and alive.

Shane is by far my favorite guy in this book. Shane had it really hard in the last book Bite Club and he's recovered since Bite Club and all but in this one he doesn't get it any easier. He's had all this hard ship and what happens in this book literally has Shane on the brink of breaking completely. What I love most about Shane is he's not perfect. All the time you get these really great love interests in books but they're all just to perfect. Shane, he's broken, sweet, sarcastic, loving, protective and so many other amazing things. Clair is defiantly lucky to have him.

Eve and Michale are some other amazing characters. They make the book ten times better. Eve really shows a lot of strength in this book. It's not until Last Breath you realize just how strong Eve is. She may be one of those really bubbly characters who never fails to make you smile, but beneath that is a really strong person. Not that she wasn't strong in the previous books, but in this one you just really get to see that Eve isn't the same Eve from the very first book in the series. She's grown up. A lot. Same with Michale. There's some glimpses of Michale we see in Last Breath that we haven't seen before. All of the characters have changed so much.

In Bite Club Rachel Caine changed things up and put in Shane's point of view in the book instead of it all just being from Claire's point of view. In Last Breath not only do we get Shane and Claire's point of view on things, but we get Eve's, Michale's and my personal favorite Amelie's. I loved seeing inside of Amelie's head because you finally get to understand why she does what she does. I kind of grew to respect Amelie in Last Breath. I was never really sure if I liked her because she went so up and down with her moods and often turns her back on Claire and her friends when they have done so much for the town. I don't really want to say to much, but Amelie definitely isn't as heartless and icy as we think. She feels things, she really does.

We finally learn why all these vampires live in this dry town. All this time reading I never expected this was why all these vampires were in this sunny dry town and now it all makes sense. I love that with each book in this series their is some new twist that you never see coming. It's something I always look forward to when it comes to reading a Morganville book there's always something that is shocking that you never even thought would happen.

Now on to my favorite part of the book-the ending. I don't usually like it when a book ends. I hate it actually especially when it was such a good book, but this ending had me grinning like a fool and I wanted to hug the book. It was something I was hoping would happen and now it has and I'm just so happy about it! It makes me want Black Dawn right now because I want more, I want to know what is going to happen to the town and Amelie especially Amelie. May 1st can't get here soon enough. I need me some more Shane Collins and Claire Danver's kicking some serious butt. And also I just really need more dialogue like this:

 "No." He took his hand out of his pocket and put his arm around her shoulders, holding her close. "If I could be half the girl you are, I'd be- Wow, I have no idea where I was going with that, and it just turned out uncomfortable, all of a sudden.

"Jackass."

"You like being a girl-that's good. I like being a guy-that's also good."

"Next you'll be all Me, Tarzan, you, Jane!"


Last Breath will leave you breathless. You will laugh and cry while reading this book you might even hug it or throw it across the room. Rachel Caine has such a raw talent that it makes me so glad that there are still more books to come to this series. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if there wasn't a book from Rachel Caine to read just the thought of this series ending makes me feel sad. Honestly, at this rate this could be a series that could go on forever and never get dull Rachel Caine is just that good. Last Breath is getting 5 out of 5 stars from me. If you haven't started this series start it now! It's so good. It's one of my favorite Vampire Series ever.

1 comment:

  1. I am a HUGE Morganville Vampires fan, and this was a great review!

    Gabby~
    Bookmarks & Bookshelves

    ReplyDelete