Apr 17, 2012

The Immoral Rules

I've heard so much praise for Julie Kawaga the author of The Iron Fey series and now more recently the Blood of Eden series which the first book is to be released on April 24th 2012. I'd only read the first book in The Iron Fey series so this author was fairly new to me. I wasn't really sure where I stood with this author. I knew I liked The Iron King, but I hadn't read enough by her to really know if I was loving her work or just liking it. Well after reading The Immortal Rules I know exactly where I stand. I'm not just liking her writing I'm loving it!

Summary from Goodreads:

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.


Allie Sekemoto is a brave girl living in a world were vampires rule and humans are nothing more than walking blood bags. The thing is the vampires aren't the worst thing in this future world. Rabids are far more scary let me tell you. I'm not really much into Dystopian novels, they often confuse me but with The Immortal Rules there wasn't a moment of confusion. Julie made it so easy to understand this world she created and I loved that about this book and the way she wrote it. 

Being a huge fan of vampire books I was thrilled to get to read The Immortal Rules before its official release date. It was one of my highly anticipated books of 2012. To be honest I wasn't really sure what to expect with this book. I did wonder how original of a story Julie Kagawa could do with vampires considering there are so many vampire books. I'm pleased to say she was able to make it a very original and fresh vampire story. Not to give anything away on some of the stuff that really seemed fresh, but the blood coming down from the girl on the covers eye totally makes sense now and I loved how Julie incorporated it into the book! 

The Immortal Rules is broken up in sections. The book starts off with Human, then goes to Vampire, then Monster and finally Wanderer. I think my favorite section of this book was definitely Vampire. One because it was fascinating learning all these things along with Allie and two because of Kanin. Kanin had me hooked on him from his very first appearance in the book. He's very mysterious and very broody and not to mention hot. There's a lot we don't know about Kanin and I'm really looking forward to learning more about him in more books to come.

Zeke is another really fantastic character, but I gotta say he wasn't my favorite. Sure he's this really sweet and understanding guy with blue eyes and blonde hair that could easily steal your heart but for me I just can't see him as a love interest. I love him as just one of the great characters in the book but as a love interest?  I don't know what it was I just didn't really feel the chemistry between him and Allie, but I have a feeling in more books to come that will change considering in the very last three chapters I did get the tiniest spark of chemistry. And I will say that I might be the tiniest bit biased considering Kanin had me from his first appearance and poor Zeke just didn't stand a chance. But a part of me is excited to see if Zeke will win me over in the next book.

Allie is one kick butt character. She lives in a world were its live or die. You can't think about anybody else if your ever put in a life threatening situation. You have to run and not look back. Allie has really admirable strength and though there were times in the book were she could be pretty cold it was understandable. But Allie is anything but a cold person you begin to realize-even when she's a non-living person she isn't cold. Allie gets put in a really dangerous and frightening situation in one particular part in the book that changes her life forever and when she did what she did for Stick made me love her even more. She's a really amazing character that I am so looking forward to reading more about!

I really loved how this book was face paced all the way to the very ending-that ending made me smile! Their really wasn't a moment of dullness. You constantly were thrown into all these action packed events that Allie has to deal with while at the same time dealing with the hunger that is trying very hard to consume her. I loved her struggle which probably sounds bad but reading about her struggling while dealing with becoming the one thing she despises in life really made for a good story. She knows ultimately what she is but she is determined to keep as much of her humanity as possible.  

Julie Kagawa has written such an amazing vampire book that I can't wait for the second book to be released. There are still so many things unanswered! Still so many adventures ahead and not to mention hopefully lots more Kanin because there was definitely not enough of him in this one! Allie is a heroine who I will be reading about until the very last book. The Immortal Rules is getting 4 out of 5 stars from me. This is definitely a must read. It will win over those who aren't fans of vampire books and will keep those of us who are fans of vampire books wanting more! 


~Thank you Netgalley for providing me with this book before its release date!~

No comments:

Post a Comment