Mar 29, 2012

So Much Closer

I've always wanted to read one of Susane Colasanti books, but never seemed to get around to actually reading one of them. All the stories sounded fantastic and finally I picked up one of her books. It sat on my bookcase for a bit, but once I picked So Much Closer up and started to read it I could not stop. So Much Closer was all it took for me to love Susane Colasanti's writing. Now I know for sure I will be reading every single one of her books with no hesitation.

Summary from Goodreads:

When Brooke's crush, Scott, moves from their suburban town to New York City, she decides to follow him there. Living with her formerly estranged dad and adapting to a new school are challenging, and things go from bad to worse when Brooke learns that Scott already has a girlfriend. But as she builds her new life, Brooke begins to discover a side of herself she never knew existed. And as she finds out, in the city that never sleeps, love can appear around any corner...



Where do I even begin to tell you how beautiful this book is? So Much Closer is about a girl named Brooke who seriously believes she is in love with Scott Abrams and that they are meant to be together. She has this feeling she calls The Knowing and The Knowing has never been wrong before so why would it be wrong now? The only problem is they never actually had a conversation and um he's moving to New York City. Bad luck eh?

The moment I started this book I loved the main character Brooke. Brooke is a really well developed character who you learn as you read doesn't trust people well and she has her reasons. She doesn't really give a crap about school or her grades which you learn why towards the middle of the book. There is a lot to Brooke you don't realize. She's a bit cynical from the start, but as she learns to trust certain people and realizes there's more to life than just Scott Abrams she becomes this amazing person who sees the world differently.

Scott Abrams is the guy of Brooke's dreams. She is madly in love with him and in some ways I could understand why. The more Scott is around the more you like him. He's cute and all but he wasn't really an amazing character. And once certain things between him and Brooke occur he kind of just falls flat as a character, which in all honesty was perfect because it leads up to an amazing ending and amazing things for Brooke. Not that Scott is a bad character because he's not I like him he's just not one of those characters who you learn a who lot about personally. And to be honest Scott got pushed aside because of John who had my heart the moment he was introduced. I mean how could you even think about Scott when such a guy like John was around?

John, oh John. This guy was defiantly my favorite character aside from Brooke herself. He has so much energy and he just blurts out the truth all the time and I love him. He is a huge part in the reason why Brooke finally sees certain things clearly and she becomes just a better person because of him. Any time John was around in the book I would always smile because his dialogue is the best. I did feel sorry for him while I read in some moments because of him not being able to keep his thoughts collected and the fact he works so hard to try and do so good, but his disease prevents him from being able to achieve what he can. John is a smart guy you really start realize the more you read about him. I loved reading as Brooke really started to see John for who he was because I was seeing the same thing along with her.

John wasn't the only character to really transform Brooke from who she was when we first meet her. Sadie who at first you have to wonder if she will be that annoying character actually turns out to be the awesome person you wish could be a friend of yours. At first Brooke finds Sadie seriously annoying and way to persistent, but then once she actually lets her guard down and hangs out with Sadie the two become inseparable. I loved it when Brooke would realize that even though she has a hard time trusting people there are still some people out in the world that you can let in completely 100% and trust.

I wasn't sure how I would like this book to be totally honest. I'd never read anything by Susane Colasanti before so I was just going off the lovely cover and interesting summary. I regret not reading this book sooner that's for sure or any book by Susane Colasanti for that matter. I loved this book and could not put it down. I had to keep reading until the very last page. I really wish I had another book by this author that I could read right now because I fell in love with the way she wrote and described everything so vividly. I felt as if I was in New York City seeing and admiring everything that Brooke was. This book was just beautiful and even though the reason Brooke goes to New York in the first place is for a boy she ends up right where she is supposed to be finding her path in life and true friends that will have her back for a lifetime. So don't go into this book just thinking its all about romance, because its not. It's about self discovery and learning to trust people, to trust yourself to achieve all that you can.

So Much Closer was a really beautiful story that started and ended with perfection. You will love reading about Brooke and her journey in New York City. I know I loved it and So Much Closer is getting 5 out of 5 stars from me. If you have this book sitting on your bookcase read it. If you don't own this book yet go and out and buy it now. This is a book that needs to be read. I can't wait to pick up another book from Susane Colasanti.

1 comment:

  1. i finished the book! It's amazing! I am going to read more books that the author wrote!! Thank you for teaching me lessons!

    ReplyDelete