Mar 24, 2012

Hallowed

It took me forever to read Unearthly by Cynthia Hand the first book in the trilogy and the moment I read it I fell in love with the world and its characters, so of course I wanted to read Hallowed as soon as possible. Hallowed is a great follow up to Unearthly and I am so glad that I put off reading Unearthly just because of the fact that I didn't have to wait months to pick up book two. Of course now I have to wait for book three, but it's totally worth it.

Summary from Goodreads:

For months Clara Gardner trained to face the fire from her visions, but she wasn't prepared for the choice she had to make that day. And in the aftermath, she discovered that nothing about being part angel is as straightforward as she thought.

Now, torn between her love for Tucker and her complicated feelings about the roles she and Christian seem destined to play in a world that is both dangerous and beautiful, Clara struggles with a shocking revelation: Someone she loves will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning. 


Hallowed picks up pretty much right where Unearthly left off, its a new school year and Clara is having this new reacquiring dream that she thinks might possibly be a vision, but she just isn't sure. I will admit that it took me a bit to get back into the swing of things. The book seemed to start off a little slow for my liking but once I got back into loving Cynthia Hand's style of writing and her amazing world and characters she has created it was hard to put this book down. The moment I thought I could put it down some new revelation would be revealed and I had to find out what was going to happen. And let me tell you there are lots of surprises and revelations in this book.

In Unearthly you don't really learn to much about the angel stuff but in Hallowed you really get a lot of information that begins to put some pieces together along with bringing new pieces to the puzzle that throw everything out of sorts. There was a lot of stuff in this book I wasn't expecting. Especially for who is the one who dies. The summary states someone Clara loves is going to die and I instantly had someone in mind that made me think "Oh no. She better not kill that character off! I will be heartbroken." Someone does die, but it's someone I don't think anyone really thought it was going to be which I think really is what gave the book a nice touch because everyone has their own thoughts on who they thought it might be only to learn it's not who they thought at all.

Maybe some people had it figured it out but I sure has heck didn't. I feel as if I should have figured it out sooner though, because there were hints. Cynthia Hand has a way of making things obvious while making them totally completely not obvious and I love that about the way she writes.

All of the characters from Unearthly are back and there are even some new ones. A lot of the same characters have really grown in Hallowed and some even have changed, and not so much for the good either. Clara is a really great protagonists I love reading from her point of view. She is so funny, yet so grown up and then she's back to being just a confused teenager who doesn't want to have to deal with destiny and all that stuff. She just wants to be Clara and live the life she wants to live. I really love her and can't wait to read more about her story in book three.

Hallowed really had me thrown when it came to Christian and Tucker. I am Team Tucker forever, but I have to admit that Christian really surprised me in this book. He's a great guy. Like really great and he understands Clara and everything that is going on with her. There is a lot of stuff revealed about him in this book and some of it I did not see coming. With that being said I really like Christian now. BUT Team Tucker FTW. Tucker is amazing and I felt so bad for him in this book. I won't say anymore except for that I ached for Tucker nonstop throughout this book and I'm hopeful the the outcome I want to come will come.

There is this new character introduced into this book-Michael. I'm not going to say who he is or what part he has in this book, but let me just tell you that I LOVE him. Like seriously him and Tucker have my heart one hundred percent. He's an amazing character that I was not expecting to come into the book like that at all and the story between him and another great character made me go "Awww how sweet!"

I still don't trust Angela. There is just something not right with her. I didn't trust her in Unearthly and I still don't trust her in Hallowed but I do like her a little bit in this one. I just get this vibe that Angela is bad. Am I the only getting this vibe from her? I don't know maybe there is no vibe but Angela defiantly has something she is hiding. Wendy wasn't in this book as much as I would have liked. I understand why and all but I really like Wendy and feel like she should have been in the book more than she was.

Hallowed is a great companion to Unearthly and was even better than the first book. Cynthia Hand's writing was great in Unearthly, but in Hallowed it shows just how outstanding of a writer she really is and I can only imagine how amazing book three is going to be. Hallowed was one of those books were you never really knew what was around the corner and it was a heartbreaking story that ended on such a beautiful note. Hallowed by Cynthia Hand is getting 4 out of 5 stars from me. Everyone needs to experience Clara's story because it's really amazing. I defiantly recommend you pick this book up and read it!


2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. There's something preventing me from truly trusting Angela. I feel like she may be easily-swayed later on in the series. I'm glad you like Hallowed, great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's not just me getting that feeling. I just don't know about her and defiantly I feel she will be easily swayed. She just gets to excited at the mention of Black Wings. Thanks glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete