Mar 12, 2012

The Gathering

I knew I would be reading The Gathering when I heard Kelley Armstrong would be writing another YA book and of course I read it right away and loved it! I have been a fan of Kelley Armstrong's since I first read the Darkest Powers series. This will be my second time reading this book and I swear it was even better this time around and I'm an even bigger fan of her work which seems a bit crazy since I was already a huge fan!

Summary from Goodreads:

Sixteen-year-old Maya is just an ordinary teen in an ordinary town. Sure, she doesn't know much about her background - the only thing she really has to cling to is an odd paw-print birthmark on her hip - but she never really put much thought into who her parents were or how she ended up with her adopted parents in this tiny medical-research community on Vancouver Island.

Until now.

Strange things have been happening in this claustrophobic town - from the mountain lions that have been approaching Maya to her best friend's hidden talent for "feeling" out people and situations, to the sexy new bad boy who makes Maya feel . . . . different. Combine that with a few unexplained deaths and a mystery involving Maya's biological parents and it's easy to suspect that this town might have more than its share of skeletons in its closet. 



This book doesn't fail to impress right from the very start. I was intrigued the moment I read the first page. The opening to this book is sad, and really kind of broke my heart because even though the character is only in the book for those few pages I loved her and really just want to find out more about what happened to her-just like Maya does. Maya is a great character who I loved the moment her presence was graced on the page. She's got this great sense of humor-her banter with her dad is hilarious!-and not only is she funny she is just strong and amazing. I'm going to share one of the things she says in the book that made me laugh involving her and her dad just so you can see a little bit of how funny Maya can be.


"No. You have to pass the parental exam first. It'll take you awhile to compile the data. They'd like it in triplicate." I turned to my parents. "We have Kenjii. We have my cell phone. Since we aren't officially dating, I'm sure you'll agree that's all the protection we need." 
Dad choked on his coffee.


My favorite part about this book was how the book brought up Navajo legends and all of that. I am a huge fan of the Navajo and to find out that it would be incorporated in this book made me want to keep reading even more! Maya doesn't really know her heritage, but she has the features of a Navajo and I loved being apart of her journey of slowly putting all these pieces together. We of course don't find out everything in this book, but the stuff we do sure is interesting and makes you want to learn more about Maya and her friends and all the dirty little secrets in Salmon Creek.

Being a huge fan of the Darkest Powers series I love how there were things from that series mentioned in here. You could read The Gathering and not get confused because you wouldn't even know the connections but those of us who have read the Darkest Powers you get that moment of "Hey! Your name is familiar!" Or "Oh he's a baddie from Darkest Powers!" I loved that about this book.


The characters in this book are all outstanding. Even the animals in this book have their own little personalities which was really great to read. Daniel, Maya's best friend is one of my favorites in this book. He's the protective best friend and he's just so great! While I was reading this book I kept getting this sense like Kelley Armstrong was throwing these little hints that there is going to be a love triangle between Rafe, Maya and Daniel. I'm excited to see where she will take that. I can't decide who I like better. Rafe is great, but so is Daniel. Though I love both of the boys I'm definitely rooting for Daniel...I think. Especially if what I think is going to develop does end up developing. 


I love the way Kelley Armstrong writes. She always creates these really amazing stories that you get so invested in them that you have to take a moment to remember that it's not real. It's just so fantastic you kind of want it to be real! Especially the boys in the book. The fictional boys that Kelley creates are great. You wish you could rip them from the book and place them in your world and claim dibs. Your heart will pound with Maya the protagonist. Your heart with break. You will laugh. I mean she literally writes in a away that really makes you feel what the main character is feeling and I love that.


The ending of The Gathering was great. It was an ending that totally left me wanting more, which is key to a good book in my opinion. If you finish it and aren't wanting more than it wasn't that great of a read. The Gathering was an amazing read and I totally wanted more ASAP! I loved everything about this book and can't wait to dive into The Calling book two. I'm giving The Gathering 4.5 out of 5 stars for being a unique story that really kept me invested in the characters, plot, atmosphere, everything! Read anything by Kelley Armstrong and you won't be disappointed. I know I haven't been.



No comments:

Post a Comment