Mar 14, 2012

The Calling

When I first found out I won an ARC of The Calling by Kelley Armstrong I did a little happy dance of joy and then I stalked my mailbox until the day it finally arrived. I have been dying to read The Calling the moment I read the last page of The Gathering and let me just put it in one word for you my reaction to this book through out. Whoa!

Summary from authors website:


Maya Delaney’s paw-print birthmark is the sign of what she truly is—a skin-walker. She can run faster, climb higher, and see better than nearly anyone else. Experiencing intense connections with the animals that roam the woods outside her home, Maya knows it’s only a matter of time before she’s able to Shift and become one of them. And she believes there may be others in her small town with surprising talents.

Now, Maya and her friends have been forced to flee from their homes during a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set. Then they’re kidnapped, and after a chilling helicopter crash, they find themselves in the Vancouver Island wilderness with nothing but their extraordinary abilities to help them get back home. Plentiful action and romance in this second installment in the Darkness Rising series will keep readers enthralled to the last page.




Let me first start off by saying that I love how they kept the same girl from The Gathering book trailer for The Calling book trailer. Most don't really do that and I like that they did! And let me tell you that book trailer is epic, but the book is mind blowing.

The Calling takes place right where The Gathering ended and holy crap my heart was pounding from start to finish while reading this book. Right from the start your thrown into this intense event that is taking place and I just could not read fast enough to find out what was going to happen. My heart broke in those few little chapters. The emotions that Maya was feeling were just so raw and up in your face it was hard not to feel them along with her and tear up. I mean you have this tragedy that is happening right before your eyes and everyone is reacting differently to it and you react along with them as if you were there. I don't know about anyone else who has read this book, but everything that happened within those few opening chapters really had my gut in a knot.

In The Gathering we get introduced to some characters that really didn't have a huge part in the story yet like Corey, Nicole, and Haley. But in The Calling you really get to see these characters through and through. We really get to know them in this one and some of it is shocking. Each character surprises you with there different secrets and personalities you never even knew they had-some they didn't even know themselves. Nicole? Never would have guessed that at all. It's always the shy ones as they say... Haley was another one that surprised me. Haley isn't what she seems and even though she seems like a real jerk you gotta pay close attention to her. She turns out not to be so bad.

Daniel you really get to see just how strong Daniel is in The Calling. He's the rock, the foundation that keeps everyone going. Him and Maya that is. If you thought you liked Daniel in The Gathering you better get prepared to fall head over heels for him in The Calling. It's official. I am Team Daniel.  Not that I don't like Rafe, because man do I like him. He sure knows how to make a girl swoon.

You get to see just how strong Maya is in this one as well. They all go through so much in this book and the fact Maya can think straight and take charge after all that proves how amazing she is. She's becoming one of my favorite protagonists. Kenjii-Maya's German Sheppard-has a big role in this book. Being a huge fan of German Sheppard's already it didn't take very long for Kenjii to steal my heart. That dog is just all kinds of awesome.

If you asked me if there was a moment of dullness in this book I would laugh and say "Sure..dullness." HA! There isn't a moment of dullness in this book. Or where a chapter just kind of went on and on with nothing interesting happening. Every single chapter, word, and paragraph brought its own amazing and interesting thing to this story. It was all so captivating to the point I didn't want the book to end. I wanted it to keep going so I could keep reading about this amazing story. Of course each story has to end...lucky for us there is a third book in the series. Needless to say I want book three now even though I know that isn't possible. But let me just tell you after that ending I'm going to be anxiously biting my nails until I get my hands on book three.

The Calling is one heck of a ride. It keeps you on the edge of your seat. It's amazing and its getting 5 out of 5 stars from me. It deserves it and more. Kelley Armstrong proves with The Calling just how talented she is and how much better her writing gets with each book. I can't wait for book three to come out and this one hasn't even been released yet. I can only imagine how epic the third book is going to be. The Calling is to be released April 12, 2012. Read The Gathering and get ready for this epic release.

5 comments:

  1. So that trailer gave me a heart attack. and made the wait even more unbearable. Awesome, AWESOME review!

    ~Mag @ Geek Chic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Super intense! The wait will be so worth it though because this book is amazing. Book three's wait is going to be torture! Thank you!! Thanks so much for stopping by Mag! :)

      Delete