Feb 23, 2012

Unearthly

I was very excited for the release of Unearthly by Cynthia Hand. It just sounded so awesome and I had to have it right away. I never bought it right away for some reason and when I finally did buy it I put off reading it for so long. I'm not exactly sure why I did this but I did until I finally just picked it up and started reading. I am so glad I finally read this book, after so long of putting it off.

Summary from Goodreads:

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny? 



Unearthly starts off with a really strong opening it's what drew me into wanting to read this book in the first place. Since what I only knew about this book was what was on the back-that being the amazing prologue-I really didn't know anything about this book. I knew that it involved angles but I never realized that the main character knew she was an angel so that was a surprise when I started reading this book. Clara is aware that she is an angel and instantly the story starts of with her purpose coming to her and needing to find this mysterious boy so they move to Wyoming where this mysterious boy is. While I read this book I was unsure, but yet at the same time so invested into the story.

Instantly I loved Clara. She's a really great character who's relationship with her mom is great and I really loved that about this book. I have a really great relationship with my mom so it's nice when you read a book and the main character isn't all "I hate you!" towards her mom. Though there relationship does have a few bumps in the rode it's to be expected considering everything. There are some books when the parents are around its just blah but with Clara's mom it wasn't that way at all. I really liked her and she really made the book great.

I loved being in Clara's head because she has such a great personalty and humor to her that it was just easy to get sucked in to her life. There is one part in the book in particular that I loved which ends up being the result of Clara's hair turning out orange. I found it really funny and just the way Clara handled it made me laugh. Really she's just a fabulous character who's story I really enjoyed reading!

Tucker Avery or Christian Prescott? That's easy! I was Team Tucker the moment he was brought into the book. What can I say? I dig cowboys. ;) Sure Tucker wasn't introduced the way Christian was all dreamy and slow mow style, but Tucker all the way hands down! I find it hilarious how different the two were introduced into the book. It's perfect actually because each is so different from each other. Don't get me wrong though I do like Christian, he's charming and all but he's just no Tucker Avery. <3

Wendy Avery, Tucker's twin sister is one of my favorite characters in this book and though I understand why Clara was so into hanging out with Angela I felt like she was treating Wendy a bit badly in the beginning. That changed of course but still I hate that she was sort of just pushing Wendy aside for those couple chapters. Which brings me to talking about Angela. I wasn't really surprised when we found out what we found out about Angela. All the signs and little hints were there. As I was reading Unearthly I never felt like I trusted Angela. I just felt like she was up to know good through  out. She just really had me pay close attention when she was around in the book because of that. Wendy on the other hand I felt was the greatest friend ever. She's so sweet and I would love to have her as a best friend any day!

I was really surprised by how this book ended. It wasn't what I expected, any of it. Like the thing with Christian. Never saw that coming. Even though I didn't see any of what happening coming its why I loved it so much. The only thing I didn't like about the ending is how I just get this sense that soon were gonna have a love triangle. And if this happens I am going to be devastated. Tucker and Carrots forever!

Cynthia Hands writing is amazing. You get so caught up in the world she has created and the characters she has developed so well that it's impossible not to fall in love. I don't regret not reading this book sooner because now I get to go buy book two and not have to go through a tortures wait to read more about Clara and Tucker. I'm totally picking up book two ASAP! I just can't wait to find out what happens next. Unearthly is getting 5 out of 5 stars from me. It was a beautiful story that you are just crazy not to pick up and read! Believe me when I say you want to read this book and fall in love with Tucker. He's the sexiest cowboy ever.


4 comments:

  1. Awesome Review! This is a book I have been wanting to read too. I need to get with the program and pick this up! Plus, who can resist a sexy cowboy? Surely, not me!


    Darlene @ Leather Bound and Lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darlene!! Oh yes! You need to read this one ASAP! You will love it! Haha I surely can't resist a sexy cowboy either and Tucker is quite a sexy cowboy! LOL! :D Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I keep seeing this one, and yet I haven't picked it up. The more I look at it though, the more I want to pick it up. You're review is definitely making me rethink my decision!! And cowboys really?! YES PLEASE!!! Great review Bailey, can't wait to get into this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to pick this one up ASAP! It was so good Andrea! You'll love it. Thanks so much and thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete