Feb 9, 2012

The Lure of Shapinsay

The Lure of Shapinsay by Krista Holle wasn't something I would have normally read, but am I glad that I decided to sign up for Krista's blog tour and read this book. It was a really fascinating read that had me captivated by every word.

Summary from Goodreads:

Ever since Kait Swanney could remember, the old crones of the village have been warning her to stay away from the selkies. They claim that like sirens of old, the seal men creep from the inky waters, shed their skins, and entice women to their deaths beneath the North Sea. But avoiding an encounter becomes impossible when Kait is spotted at the water’s edge, moments after the murder of a half-selkie infant.

Unexpectedly, Kait is awoken by a beautiful, naked selkie man seeking revenge. After she declares her innocence, the intruder darts into the night, but not before inadvertently bewitching her with an overpowering lure.

Kait obsesses over a reunion deep beneath the bay and risks her own life to be reunited with her selkie. But when she lands the dangerous lover, the chaos that follows leaves Kait little time to wonder—is it love setting her on fire or has she simply been lured?

What lured me into reading this book was the selkies. I have never heard of a book or any story about selkies and it really intrigued me! I gotta tell you this book was so fascinating to me. In the beginning I was unsure, but then chapter 2 came around and I was hooked! I couldn't stop reading because I needed to know more about these selkie and this mysterious selkie man who wanted revenge. Already I wanted to know more about this guy who I right of the bat loved learning about. I loved reading the different sections between him and Kait. I liked being in his head, as much as I loved being in Kait's. The glimpses into Eamon's head they really gave the book a nice touch. I think that's what I loved about this book. Even though Krista went from Kait's point of view to Eamon's each one was so enjoyable in its own ways. And sometimes that doesn't happen. Sometimes you like being in one characters head more than the other but with this book you love being in both.

I loved Kait. She is one independent, stubborn girl who doesn't like to be bossed around. I admittedly liked her.  I really loved Eamon, like right off the bat he just intrigued me to the point that I knew it was going to be hard to stop reading this book and oh my goodness was it hard. I don't really know what it was about Eamon but I really liked him even though I hardly knew anything about this selkie who had a bit of revenge on his mind-of course once I got farther into the book I loved him even more. He's a really good looking selkie who you can't help but like so be prepared for that because your gonna like him the moment he appears on the page. Trust me on this!

I was a little thrown by the way they talked in this book since it was set in the olden days, but then it just got so normal that I didn't even think twice about it. I also loved that this took place on an island in Scotland. I love anything to do with Scotland so that was a really nice surprise for me to learn since I didn't realize at first that was were it was taking place. Also can I just tell you how refreshing it was to read a book that I had nothing to compare it too? Like seriously I can not think of one thing that this book can be compared to because it is so original and unique! That is indeed the best complement I can ever give to a book...in my mind at least. :)

When I finished this book I wasn't so sure how I felt about the ending. After a couple days of really thinking about it it occurred to me that I loved it. I really enjoyed this one from beginning to end and even though it would have been cool if there was a prologue or something I really liked how Krista ended the book. If a second book were to come about Kait and Eamon I would read it most defiantly and a part of me does hope there will be another just to see what happens next, but if not then this book was rapped up nicely.


I'm giving The Lure of Shapinsay 4.5 out of 5 stars. This book is really quite good and I recommend that you check it out if you haven't already read it. It's so worth the read! Be prepared to be lured in! ;)
  

3 comments:

  1. Bailey, Thanks for hosting the "Lure" Tour. This is a great site and I'm loving your review! Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krista! And thank you for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. Hey, Bailey! I gave you an award over at my blog! Please check it out:

    It's right here :)

    ReplyDelete