Jan 23, 2012

It's Not Summer Without You

I fell in love with The Summer I Turned Pretty the moment I read the first page and It's Not Summer Without You the sequel is love at first sight! This book is ten times better than the first-if that is at all possible, which Jenny Han proves is very possible. I waited and waited for this book to come out and when it finally did back in 2010 of April you can bet a hundred bucks I was at the bookstore buying it and walking out with my nose already in the book that very day.


Summary from Goodreads:

 Can summer be truly summer without Cousins Beach?

It used to be that Belly counted the days until summer, until she was back at Cousins Beach with Conrad and Jeremiah. But not this year. Not after Susannah got sick again and Conrad stopped caring. Everything that was right and good has fallen apart, leaving Belly wishing summer would never come.

But when Jeremiah calls saying Conrad has disappeared, Belly knows what she must do to make things right again. And it can only happen back at the beach house, the three of them together, the way things used to be. If this summer really and truly is the last summer, it should end the way it started--at Cousins Beach.



Where do I even begin to tell you how awesome this book is? For starters if you thought you liked Belly in The Summer I Turned Pretty your going to love her in It's Not Summer Without You. She is just such a great character and even though her love for Conrad does pretty much consume her she is just so selfless at times. Conrad, good grief I love him. You learn in this book how great of a guy Conrad is. He does everything for a reason even if at first you can't see that and I love that about him. Sometimes you just want to shake him and tell him to stop being a jerk, and then you learn a little bit something about him and you feel like the jerk for calling him a jerk in your head. Oh Conrad, you are quite the guy.

Jeremiah, he's really changed since the first book. He's grown up. And I love this brother quite a lot. He tries to keep the jokes coming and keep the mood light even though everyone is pretty much hurting over the loss of Susannah. And I love that about him. I wish Jeremiah was my best friend because he is just one of those characters that you love so much that you want to rip them out of the book and place them in your world. To be honest I want to do that will all of the characters in this book. Even Taylor has grown on me while reading this one. Sure she still gets on my nerves, but not as badly and I like her a little bit. It's not that she is a bad character or anything because she really isn't. I couldn't imagine the book without Taylor in it it's just too much Taylor and your just ready for her to go away. That's probably just me, but I'm being honest here.

There is one thing about this book that I loved so much and kind of wish would have been done in the first book, but I get why it wasn't done. In this one we get glimpses into Jeremiah's head. If you didn't love Jeremiah at first-I find this humanly impossible by the way-you will love him now. Trust me. The glimpses inside of his head are what make this book so much better than the first.

If you have read The Summer I Turned Pretty you know how it ends. Well you get to see what happened when someone and a certain someone left to go a certain someplace-I'm trying to be very vague just so I don't ruin it for anyone who hasn't read it so just deal with my vagueness hehe :)- and I gotta say its one of my favorite parts in the book. I loved that Jenny incorporated that into the book because I seriously felt like I was missing out on nothing which of course is what makes this series so amazing!

Before I rate this book I want to talk about the ending. I really loved the ending. It was perfect. Sure when I first read it back in 2010 I was like what!? It was torture waiting for the third book to come out because of that ending.  After just now finishing it I still love that ending. I love that Belly finally realized something and that she finally was able to come to terms with certain things. In short this book was fantastic.

It's Not Summer Without You by Jenny Han is getting 5 out of 5 stars from me. In my mind it gets infinity amount of stars,because of how amazing it is. Which I love, love, love that in this book. You have no idea what I am talking about if you haven't read this book but there is something about the infinity sign in it that I love. It's actually the reason why I love finding jewelery with the infinity sign on it. Anyways, this book is amazing and you must read it! Drop everything right now and go buy this book! You will not regret it, ever. You will love me for it, trust me.


1 comment:

  1. I don't read much contemporary these days, since it's mostly paranormals that I've been into, but this sounds really good! I think I want to give The Summer I Turned Pretty and It's Not Summer Without You a try! Your review has convinced me of it's awesomeness! Thanks so much for sharing Bailey! Loved your review <3

    ReplyDelete