Dec 31, 2011

Ten Things We Did (and probably shouldn't have)

I came across Ten Things We Did (and probably shouldn't have) browsing books on amazon. Just the title alone was intriguing but I didn't really want to read it until after seeing what the book was about. After not buying it for awhile I finally got it for Christmas and it was the best contemporary book I have read in awhile.

 Summary from Goodreads:

2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house – parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have.

If given the opportunity, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't jump at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny little untruth to make it happen (see #1: "Lied to Our Parents"). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Throwing a Crazy Party" (#8), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) at all is kind of a mystery to them.



Ten Things We Did (and probably shouldn't have) starts off really funny and that hilarity never ends it just gets stronger and even funnier the more you read. I had the hardest time putting this book down. When I started this book I didn't realize how much I would love it that I would be halfway done with it already by one in the morning. I finished it the next day, sort of sad that it was over. I wanted more to read! I know for a fact that after reading this one I will be picking up Sarah Mlynowski's other books.

I really loved most of the characters in this book, aside from Noah who annoyed the crap out of me. At first though I wasn't sure if I would like April she seemed a tiny bit whiny in the beginning, but then that just vanished and I really started to like her and she cracked me up. The whole her ring tone being a police siren for her dad oh gosh I loved that! Hudson, oh Hudson <3. I loved this guy the moment he appeared in the book. How could you not? My only complaint is there was not enough Hudson. Seriously there needed to be more Hudson! :) I also really loved Dean, he made me chuckle a lot. Vi and Marrissa were great characters too. Lucy...Lucy was strange at first, but then you warm up to her and actually begin to like her a bit. All and all this book had some really great characters, aside from Noah who deserves a good slap in the face.

Ten Things We Did tackles some tough topics in my opinion and I liked that about this book. Even though it was seriously funny there were some serious things in it to balance it out. Some of it I can't talk about or it will ruin the book but just know that when reading this it is a hilarious book but Sarah Mlynowski throws in some issues that really in my opinion made the book better.  I also really loved how towards the end it did start to get more serious but then the very ending you get back that light and funny April. I was very sad that this one ended. I would love a second book. Not sure if that will ever happen but I will hope for it. Because seriously? I need some more Hudson and WEEEoooo WEEEoooo WEEEooooo! Haha :D

Ten Things We Did (and probably shouldn't have) is getting 4 out of 5 stars from me. This book was brilliant and if you haven't read this one yet you seriously need to. Like now! I'm going to end this review with one of my favorite passages from this book. This is just a dose of how funny this book is.  

"I'm not exactly alone. I have Vi."

"And Zelda," Vi piped in.

"Who's Zelda?" I asked.

"Didn't I tell you about the ghost in the oven?"

I turned around to face her. "No. You did not."

"Personally, I think the creaks are because the oven is from 1972, but my mother is convinced they're from a ghost Zelda."

"Did someone die in the house or something?"

"No, my mother is just crazy," she said. "She was convinced we a had a ghost. And that the ghost committed suicide in our oven, Sylvia Plath style. Which doesn't even make sense, because our oven is electric."

I wasn't sure why one couldn't kill oneself in an electric oven, but decided not to ask. 
  
"Great to know," I said instead. "Whenever you're out I'll just talk to Zelda."

If that didn't convince you to read this book, just think of Hudson and what you are missing...

2 comments:

  1. Great review I am going to post my review on Monday. I really enjoyed this book. It was my first real venture into contemporary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Amy Can't wait to read your review! I'm glad you liked it, I really enjoyed this one too. This was probably a good first contemporary book to read for you! :)

    ReplyDelete