Nov 29, 2011

Num8ers

I went into Num8ers only really knowing that Jem, the main character, saw someones numbers when she looked at them. Those numbers being the date of when they would die. Sounded like such a good book that I had to pick it up after so long of wanting to read it.


Summary from Amazon:

Countdown to a blowup! A gripping debut psycho-thriller that pairs futuristic sci-fi with frighteningly real themes of global terrorism!

Ever since she was child, Jem has kept a secret: Whenever she meets someone new, no matter who, as soon as she looks into their eyes, a number pops into her head. That number is a date: the date they will die. Burdened with such awful awareness, Jem avoids relationships. Until she meets Spider, another outsider, and takes a chance. The two plan a trip to the city. But while waiting to ride the Eye ferris wheel, Jem is terrified to see that all the other tourists in line flash the same number. Today's number. Today's date. Terrorists are going to attack London. Jem's world is about to explode!


I was a little surprised to find out that the book was set in London, somewhere I would so love to see someday. Shouldn't have been thou right since it so specifically states above the book is set in London. But the thing is I only read what was on the back of the book one day and that was all it took. I wanted to read it. I should have opened the book and read the flap. I know, I know but I was already too interested! And maybe it was good to have a few surprises thrown at me. But let me just say I had a hard time reading this book. I kept getting tripped up by the usage of one simple word-mum. Its like my brain just paused and thought well that doesn't sound right and I would have to reread it and hear mom instead. I honestly don't know why this kept happening but it totally annoyed me and made my reading process so much slower than it usually is.

As I read Numbers I just kept thinking please get better I really want you to get better! I had high hopes for this book from the start and it was just so slow and I couldn't find myself liking any of the characters at all. Not even Jem or Spider. To be truthful they kind of annoyed me. Chapter 8 came around and I got a little spark of intrigue but then it just died. I'm not exactly sure what it was about Rachel Wards writing but this book just wasn't for me.

I think what has disappointed me the most about this book is that the excitement I had for it only for that bubble to get burst. The book started off good too from the very first line and then all of a sudden it was just not something I could get into. I don't like writing bad reviews and this will be my first but I don't want people to read this and then think well if she didn't like it why should I even give it a try? Don't do that please. Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean you won't. That being said I will be honest and say I didn't even make it through the whole book. I got to page 92 of 325. I don't usually stop reading a book even if at first it won't keep my attention but unfortunately this one I just couldn't keep going. I'm giving Numbers 1 out of 5 stars. Keep in mind though I may write another review for this book in the near future. This book will sit on my shelf to be completed one day and I may love it or I may like, now not be able to get in to it. I'll keep my mind open to any possibility.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear you didn't like it very much. I understand it's hard not to finish a book. I hate stopping once I've put so much effort into reading it.

    Andrea
    Cozy Up With A Good Read

    ReplyDelete