Nov 26, 2011

Bite Club

I came across the Morganville Vampire series at a library about three years ago. I could not put the book down and when my mom read it she couldn't put the book down. As the series progressed each book just got better and better. Bite Club did not disappoint. It amazes, which at this point I need to just expect the awesomeness that Rachel Caine can create, me each time to because you have to wonder how much more chaos and havoc can Rachel Caine come up with to keep the story good and unique? You have series were you just wish it would have been a stand alone or possibly just a trilogy. This is not one of those series. Bite Club is book 10 in what will be a 15 book series. This is a huge series folks and it still amazes me that Rachel Caine keeps the story so good 10 books in. It just goes to show how much talent Rachel Caine has when it comes to such a hard craft as writing.


 Summary from Amazon:

After discovering that vampires populate her town, college student Claire Danvers knows that the undead just want to live their lives. But someone else wants them to get ready to rumble.

There's a new extreme sport getting picked up on the Internet: bare- knuckle fights pitting captured vampires against each other-or humans. Tracking the remote signal leads Claire- accompanied by her friends and frenemies-to discover that what started as an online brawl will soon threaten everyone in Morganville...

**Some Spoilers! Read at your own risk**

I'm going to start off by saying what I loved most about this book. We get to see inside Shane's head. I can not tell you how much I enjoyed this. I love, love, love Shane and getting to see inside of his head was really cool even if it was seriously dark and sad. Shane has got series problems but getting to hear his point of view on things was a really nice touch to this book. I don't want to give anything away except that I think at this point in the series Rachel made a good decision not letting us see inside of his head until book ten. Thou I will say I was a little bit wanting to slap Shane silly in this book even thou I know he had no chance of fighting off Glory's glamor. His character has been through so much and Shane just gets the bad end of the stick in this book and its a breaking point for him and you really get to see and experience the demons inside of him.

I felt from the start of the book to a couple chapters in Claire's voice was so different from the other books in the series. Of course her voice was different she started off as this fragile girl and turned into this strong person but it wasn't that that had changed. I couldn't put my finger on what it was but there was defiantly something different and I couldn't decide at first if I liked it or hated it. She just seemed so... I don't want to say witchy but there was defiantly something touchy about her voice that had changed from Ghost Town. After a couple chapters thou it went to normal Claire. Did anyone else notice that or was it just me? Thou all she has been through she has every right to be a bit touchy.

As the book got deeper into the story I got sucked in even deeper and could not stop reading no matter how tired I was. When Bishop showed up I honestly did not expect that. At. All. I thought that dude was dead. Apparently not and he is seriously PO'D and out for blood. The whole new gym and the craziness that was going on behind the closed doors really sucked me in. Sure it wasn't that original the fighting being online and all, but Rachel Caine made it seem like it was. And thou I know lots of people say this is there least favorite of the series I thoroughly enjoyed it, every little piece of it. I loved how she brought back some characters from previous books like Bishop and crazy Kim. Speaking of Kim you totally get to see more of her not quite sane side in Bite Club. It was really interesting and I enjoyed it every crazy bit of it.

Since I'm on the topic of crazy people I want to talk a little bit about Myrin who I am seriously becoming fond for. I never thought that would happen but well its happened. Myrin the crazy boss who has a spider named Bob is totally growing on me. At first I was so not crazy about the boss and the crazy layer were things had a tendency to blow up in Claire's face, but I know can not see the books without Myrin and his craziness. Which he's kind of actually becoming maybe just a little bit sane since Ghost Town. Of course I say sane very lightly because Myrin is unpredictable but I think that is was I am starting to love about him. I also just think he's pretty hilarious now.

I love the dialogue in this book so much don't mean to jump from a completely different topic but its so true. The dialogue in this book is just..bloody brilliant. I wish I could come up with the things these characters say on the spot and be as witty as them. Even with all the craziness and sad stuff Rachel Caine can throw in the wittiest and most funny dialogue ever.  I don't think I have ever laughed out loud as much as I have with this series. Eve's dialogue is the best. Eve's and Shane's together is just hilarious. Thou this one lacked Shane's dialogue for many reasons. :( Poor Shane. I felt so bad for him. I had many moments of wanting to kick that Glory vampire girls butt for obvious reasons. She is just so evil and defiantly a word that starts with a B and ends in itch. But she got what she deserved in the end. :)

One thing I was totally shocked about this book was when Eve blurted that she and Micheal would be getting married. I can honestly say I never saw that coming. It will be interesting to see how that goes. Eve and Michel are the cutest so I'm kind of happy about this development thou I would be jumping with joy if it were Shane and Claire. What can I say I'm a hopeless romantic.

**No more spoilers.**

I am giving Bite Club 4 out of 5 stars. I honestly don't understand why so many people say this book was such a disappointment, but I get everyone has their own opinion and mine personally is this one didn't disappointment. I loved it and I can't wait to see what happens next.



Now that I have finished Bite Club I honestly don't think I can wait to read Last Breath like I was planning. See all of the Morganville Vampires series on my shelf are paperback and I'm trying to keep it that way and well it will be difficult. Especially all the things I am hearing about Last Breath and not to mention the book trailer.


Sigh. I just know I am going to break down and end up buying the hardcover and it will probably be well worth it. Except for the excruciating long wait for Black Dawn. Decisions, Decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment