Oct 19, 2011

Books vs. Kindles

Sales for the Kindle, Nook etc are rising severally and personally I don't understand it. Yes I understand its nice that you can read a book on the Kindle while lets say your eating Cheetos and you don't have to worry about smearing orange Cheetos cheese on the pages. Yeah that must be nice, but I still don't get it and probably never will. I'm blogging about this topic today because I've heard a lot of controversy on this topic and the mention of what if Kindle gets so big that's the ONLY way you can read a book? What if they just stop making good old fashioned books all together? Just the thought makes my stomach churn inside. I refuse to buy or even think about buying a Kindle or Nook just because of those two questions. I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this topic and that's fine everyone has there own opinion and I'm cool with that.

I can remember being a kid and not really being into reading and then I slowly started to get into it starting with the Junie B. Jones and The Magic Tree House books. It wasn't until in my tween years did I really start to appreciate books. I read the first Twilight book by Stephanie Meyer and that was it I was a true book worm after that! Thank goodness for Stephanie Meyer without Twilight I don't know if I would be the avid reader and writer that I am today. Your probably wondering why the heck I'm sharing this and I will get to my point soon I promise. I just have a lot to say about this topic so bare with me and I will try not to bore you to death with my strong opinions. :) After reading Twilight I was becoming a regular at my local book stores buying books by Sarah Dessen (who I absolutely adore and hope to get to meet some day!), L.J Smith, Claudia Gabel, Hailey Abbott, Rachel Caine, Alyson Noel and so on. I just could not get enough books!

To this day as I write this I am a true book worm. Anytime I have money I instantly think what books can I get this time? I think what my main point of telling you all of this is books are a huge part of my life. I don't know what I would do with out them. Sure you still get the same book on the Kindle as you would at the book store but to me its just so different. Doesn't it hurt your eyes to stare at the screen for so long? Doesn't it suck not being able to go to the bookstore and stay there for hours just looking at the books and finding some you never even heard of?

For me I love everything about getting a new book the smell, having the cover up close and in detail, being able to put it on my bookshelf after reading it and seeing it with all my other books, and just plan holding it in my hands as I'm curled cozily under the blankets. Maybe I'm just not good with change but just the thought of the possibility of those two questions coming true irks me. And I'm not suggesting it will happen I'm just giving my opinion on the possibility that if it did happen everyone knows where I stand.

The fact Kindle is so big right now there's got to be something nice about it or else people wouldn't be buying Kindles. Like the fact you can bring any book you want with you and not worry about the pages getting all bent up in your purse or suitcase. That does sound nice and I am a bit OCD when it comes to that sort or thing. The prices are cheaper as well aren't they? I will admit that's a nice bonus too. But I will always stick with going to the book store and buying books rather than getting a Kindle. That's just me. What are your thoughts on this subject?

1 comment:

  1. I actually have a Nook, and I love it. It in no way stops me from getting physical books though. To answer one of your questions, no it doesn't hurt my eyes. The e-ink technology actually makes it look almost exactly like the page of a book.(you still need to use a book light to read in the dark) I like my Nook because I don't have a lot of extra space and I don't have room for all of my books. I am also impatient and if it's a book I want really bad, it's instant to get on my Nook. I still enjoy going to the book store, and I love pretty book covers so if it's a book I really enjoyed I will buy a physical copy a lot of the time too. My Nook will never replace my love for real books, but I do find it to be convenient for my specific needs.

    ReplyDelete